Bruce Pearl, Jared Harper have confidence in transfer recruits

Doughty, now a redshirt sophomore after sitting out the 2017-18 season, finished with nine points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game as a freshman at VCU

<p>Jared Harper (1) listens to Head Coach Bruce Pearl during a timeout&nbsp;during Auburn basketball vs. Florida on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018, in Gainesville, Fla. </p>

Jared Harper (1) listens to Head Coach Bruce Pearl during a timeout during Auburn basketball vs. Florida on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018, in Gainesville, Fla.

Bruce Pearl likes the additions to Auburn men’s basketball.

Following a regular-season championship run, Auburn basketball has started practice prior to the start of its 2018-19 season. With losses in Mustapha Heron and Davion Mitchell, point guard Jared Harper said he was impressed by VCU transfer Samir Doughty and Lee College transfer J'Von McCormick.

“I think [Doughty is] going to be one of the sleepers in the SEC this year,” Harper said. “He can do everything… just as well as anyone in the conference or anybody in the country.”

Doughty, now a redshirt sophomore after sitting out the 2017-18 season, finished with nine points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game as a freshman. It is expected for Doughty to fill out the back court alongside both Bryce Brown and newcomer J’Von McCormick.

“Samir brings experience, versatility and the ability to make his teammates better as a play maker and slasher,” Pearl said in introduction to Doughty. “Like a lot of Philly guards, he’s got swag to his game and will enjoy the fast tempo of Auburn basketball.”

Despite shooting 28.4 percent from beyond the 3-point arc on the season, Doughty finished the final 21 games of his freshman season shooting 34.5 percent (19-of-55). His nine points per game are the most averaged by a VCU freshman since the 1998-99 season.

“I’m sure he’s going to shock a lot of people this season with the way that he performs,” Harper said.

McCormick, whom Pearl said will be Mitchell’s acting replacement, will also follow behind Harper’s guidance at point guard.

The most difficult task for McCormick entering this season was filling Mitchell’s absence, Pearl said, but the guard responded positively.

“It didn’t bother J’Von,” Pearl said. “J’Von knew what we had. He wanted to compete against them.”

McCormick averaged 18.5 points, 6.4 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game at Lee College in Baytown, Texas, before transferring to The Plains.

Pearl added that, with McCormick’s contribution and desire, the team has an undefined ceiling.

“But because he fills such an important niche and that depth he’s going to provide us, how he goes really could determine how far we go,” Pearl said.”That’s how important a guy like that is.”

Share and discuss “Bruce Pearl, Jared Harper have confidence in transfer recruits” on social media.