Plainsman sports staff's final thoughts, score predictions for Auburn vs. Alabama State

<p>Jarrett Stidham (8) during Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, GA.&nbsp;</p>

Jarrett Stidham (8) during Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, GA. 

This season, The Plainsman will make staff picks of Auburn's weekly matchups. Also look for our selections for the national showdowns in the "Plainsman Pick 'Em" section in the print edition of our publication.

Here are our picks for Alabama State at No. 7 Auburn (6:30 p.m. CST, SEC Network alternate programming).

Nathan King, sports editor: 

It may not have been pretty, but No. 7 Auburn's win over then-No. 6 Washington catapulted the Tigers into early playoff contention, at least according to national media.

Week 3 will likely bring a top-10 matchup to The Plains as No. 11 LSU looms as a surprising SEC power. But Auburn has to deal with its stereotype of recent shortcomings against FCS foes first.

In two of the past three seasons, Auburn has struggled with its annual FCS opponent. In 2015, Jacksonville State took the Tigers to overtime in a similar start to the season: Auburn opened home play after a win over Louisville in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game. Last season, Auburn committed five turnovers that made FCS Mercer look like a Power 5 mainstay.

I think Auburn has too much to improve on to be demotivated Saturday. Gus Malzahn wants more out of the running game and less penalties. Expect Kam Martin, "Boobee" Whitlow and the remainder of Auburn's young and hungry stable of backs to rush for a whole lot more than they did against Washington.

Jarrett Stidham should be able to pick apart this defense to his liking and will ride the bench for the second half. It's disappointing that true freshman QB Joey Gatewood (thumb) won't see the field, but that provides backup Malik Willis with another shot to prove he's the frontrunner for next year's position battle.

Prediction: Auburn 59, Alabama State 7

Tyler Roush, assistant sports editor

This one will be quick and easy.

Jarrett Stidham will be able to take advantage of a FCS opponent following a win over then-No. 6 Washington. Kam Martin and Auburn's offensive line should have a breather after handling the vaunted Huskies defense, and more backs should have some carries against Alabama State.

I see Alabama State trying to hold on early against the Tigers, but each Auburn player may be too much to handle for this week two matchup.

Prediction: Auburn 56, Alabama State 6

Jake Wright, sports writer 

Auburn looked like a top-10 team last week when they beat Washington. With another ranked matchup looming next week vs. LSU, the Tigers will have the opportunity to play some younger players against Alabama State. 

Auburn will try to get their offensive line to mesh after a shaky performance on the ground in week one. "Boobee" Whitlow and Kam Martin will have opportunities to show off their explosiveness against a front seven that can't matchup. 

I think that Auburn will run out to an fast start, and we will get a glimpse of the future with Malik Willis playing quarterback in the second half. Auburn has too much talent to let the Hornets hang around for more than a few drives. 

Prediction: Auburn 56, Alabama State 7

Zach Tantillo, sports reporter

Unlike 2015 when Jacksonville State nearly upset Auburn, this top-10 team is the real deal. Auburn has NFL talent spread throughout both sides of the ball and should not allow Alabama State to hang around for long. 

The main thing for the Tigers in this game should be to make sure everyone is healthy heading into next week’s bout with No. 11 LSU, this includes limiting – or sitting – both Jamel Dean and Javaris Davis.

I expect a good bit of two-deep players will get significant play time in this game and I wouldn’t be surprised if the keys to the offense were handed to Malik Willis if this game is well out of reach early. 

Prediction: Auburn 61, Alabama State 13

Sumner Martin, sports writer

Coming off a big opening win against Washington, Coach Gus Malzhan has said the Tigers will not be taking the visiting Hornets of Alabama State lightly. Saturday will be about improving on last week’s performance, no matter the opponent.

No disrespect to Alabama State, but Auburn should roll over the Hornets in the first half and rest the starters, to give some freshman more experience in their first game at Jordan Hare Stadium. I don’t expect the first string defense to give up a touchdown at home, and Kam Martin and “Boobee” Whitlow should have a field day on the ground. The Tigers will have an easy day Saturday as long as they don’t underestimate the Hornets, and get a much needed tune-up game before SEC play begins with LSU coming to Auburn next week.

Prediction: Auburn 45, Alabama State 10

Cole McCauley, Sports Writer

Last season a highly ranked Auburn team, to the surprise of many, had a bit of struggle against FCS opponent Mercer in the first quarter of the season. Facing a similar situation this upcoming weekend don't expect for Gus Malzahn and co. to make the same mistakes.

It's obvious that the Tigers are a much more talented team than week two opponent, Alabama State and while this team is still getting comfortable with each other (most notably the secondary and offensive line), expect to see experienced leaders like Jarrett Stidham and Deshaun Davis to lead the Tigers to a big lead early.

Expect to see the return of the type of run-game that Auburn fans have become accustomed to seeing in the past. Additionally, look for a bevy of talented freshman such as 5-foot-7 Shaun Shivers running back and wide receiver Seth Williams to make their mark once Auburn's lead is comfortable.

Prediction: Auburn 51, Alabama State 10

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Plainsman sports staff's final thoughts, score predictions for Auburn vs. Alabama State ” on social media.