UPC hosts first open mic night of semester

“I think it went good,” Eaton said. “It gives me opportunities when I mess up to interact with the crowd.”

<p>UPC hosts first open mic night at Student Center Starbucks on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018.</p>

UPC hosts first open mic night at Student Center Starbucks on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018.

On Tuesday, Sept. 18, University Program Council hosted an open mic night in the Student Center Starbucks from 7-9 p.m., in which students had the opportunity to present anything they wanted to share.

Most students performed songs, both known and original. Many played guitar but a couple used the keyboard. The final performance was a comedy routine.

Members of the audience were respectful and supportive of all acts throughout the night, many of which sipping Starbucks and eating Chick-fil-A as they watched and listened to the performances. 

“I thought it was a huge success,” said Kameron Ward, junior in marketing. “It’s a chance to see all the undiscovered talent on campus. It gives people a chance to showcase their talents when they might not usually get that chance.” 

Ward works with UPC to host this event and others like it for students on campus. The next open mic night will be held on Oct. 23. 

“The Scientist was good,” said Peyton Spencer, junior in electrical engineering, on his performances. ”The second one I wasn’t really ready for. I’ve never played that live before, it’s something I’m still producing.” 

Spencer withdrew a folder full of scribbled lyrics on notebook pages, which he used for his performances. He said he has an endless amount ideas on those pages.

“I think everyone has some potential whether you’ve tapped it or not; it just takes time to get there,” Spencer said. 

James Eaton, senior in mechanical engineering, said it was his fourth year performing at the open mic night. 

“I think it went good,” Eaton said. “It gives me opportunities when I mess up to interact with the crowd.

“There are a lot of people who don’t want to do it and are really nervous, and then they’re some of the best people here,” Eaton said. “I just recommend anyone who wants to do it, do it. If you think you’re not good enough, you’re good enough.”

Sarah Austin, senior in marine biology, said she’d recommend that people come to future open mic nights.

“I thought it was great,” Austin said. “It was a lot of fun. If you like the coffee shop vibe with some music, [you] should definitely come.”

Share and discuss “UPC hosts first open mic night of semester” on social media.