Auburn City Council approves alcohol license for multiple AU athletic facilities

The council approved annual contracts for licenses at Auburn Arena, the Auburn Athletics Complex, Plainsman Park and the Auburn University Softball Complex

<p>Plainsman Park rendering via Auburn Athletics.</p>

Plainsman Park rendering via Auburn Athletics.

You might be able to buy a drink at a few more Auburn Athletics facilities soon.

A special retail alcohol beverage license from B&B Bartending was approved Tuesday night for multiple athletic facilities on Auburn's campus. The Auburn City Council unanimously approved the licenses.

The council approved annual contracts for licenses at Auburn Arena, the Auburn Athletics Complex, Plainsman Park and the Auburn University Softball Complex.

"As best I can understand it, this is the first time the university has just kind of gone for an annual contract," said Forrest Cotten, the city's planning director. 

Cotten said athletics and providers have applied for event-specific licenses in the past, resulting in repeat applications numerous times in a year. This would be a blanket license for the year. 

"This will kind of cover that facility for a year, which will keep us from having to bring those things back to the council," Cotten said.

In the spring, the council approved a license request from B&B to sell alcohol at Plainsman Park. That license allowed only VIP and premium ticket holders to purchase alcohol in a designated section of the baseball stadium. 

Auburn Athletics told The Plainsman on Wednesday that the new licenses will follow similar regulations, requiring a specific ticket and remaining separate from main seating areas at all four locations.

"Their No. 1 priority is student safety on Saturday, or whatever sporting event it may be," said SGA President Dane Block. "It's the whole Auburn Family's safety that is at the top of their priority list. That's not going to change moving forward. I have full confidence in that."

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn City Council approves alcohol license for multiple AU athletic facilities” on social media.