Auburn rises to No. 8 in latest AP Poll after victory over Southern Miss

<p>Daniel Thomas (24) high-fives Jordyn Peters (15) during Auburn football vs. Southern Miss on Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Daniel Thomas (24) high-fives Jordyn Peters (15) during Auburn football vs. Southern Miss on Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

The Tigers have moved up two spots to No. 8 in this week's AP poll.

After its 24-13 homecoming victory over Southern Miss (2-2, 1-0 USA), Auburn (4-1, 1-1 SEC) remains as the fourth highest ranked SEC team behind No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Georgia, and No. 5 LSU and ahead of No. 13 Kentucky and No. 22 Florida. 

The game was delayed due to weather concerns with 4:27 remaining in the second quarter. This delay lasted a little more than 2.5 hours, which gave the game an approximate 6-hour length with kickoff being at 3 pm CST and the game ending around 9 pm CST. 

The score was 14-3 Auburn before the delay, and would remain the same at halftime. The Tigers were slow to find a rhythm after returning from the half, but would ultimately stop the newfound momentum of Southern Miss to ensure the victory.

There was also an apparent struggle for Auburn’s O-line with the starting left and right tackle out with injury, as well as with penalties (9 for 78 yards) and yet again with converting on long distance field goals. 

Tigers next head to Starkville to face Mississippi State (3-2, 0-2 SEC), which fell out of the Top 25 after losing at home, 13-6 to former head coach Dan Mullen and Florida.

COMPLETE TOP 25 POLL:

1. Alabama 

2. Georgia 

3. Ohio State 

4. Clemson

5. LSU

6. Notre Dame

7. Oklahoma

8. Auburn

9. West Virginia 

10. Washington

11. Penn State

12. UCF

13. Kentucky

14. Stanford

15. Michigan

16. Wisconsin

17. Miami (FL)

18. Oregon

19. Texas

20. Michigan State 

21. Colorado

22. Florida

23. North Carolina State

24. Virginia Tech

25. Oklahoma State 

Share and discuss “Auburn rises to No. 8 in latest AP Poll after victory over Southern Miss” on social media.