Auburn's Gus Malzahn is the SEC's third-highest paid coach

The sixth-year head coach will earn $6.7 million with up to $1.4 million in max bonuses in 2018.

<p>Coach Gus Malzahn prepares to run onto the field prior to Auburn vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Coach Gus Malzahn prepares to run onto the field prior to Auburn vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn's Gus Malzahn is ranked as college football's fifth-highest paid head coach, USA Today's Wednesday report says.

The sixth-year head coach will earn $6.7 million with up to $1.4 million in max bonuses in 2018, which ranks him as the SEC's third-highest paid coach behind Alabama's Nick Saban and Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher, respectively.

The conference boasts five of the eight-highest paid coaches in comparison to the Big Ten's two and the ACC's one.

On Jan. 26, Malzahn signed a seven-year extension worth $49 million. Auburn finished the 2017 season 10-4 following a SEC Championship berth and Peach Bowl loss.

Malzahn has the nation's fifth-largest buyout at $32.1 million and is less than half of Jimbo Fisher's $68.5 million, the nation's largest. 

Auburn is currently 4-1 on the season while being ranked eighth in the nation. The Tigers travel to Starkville to play Mississippi State on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Auburn's Gus Malzahn is the SEC's third-highest paid coach” on social media.