Gus Malzahn updates statuses of injured Whitlow, Driscoll, Wanogho

<p>JaTarvious Whitlow (28) during Auburn football vs. Southern Miss on Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

JaTarvious Whitlow (28) during Auburn football vs. Southern Miss on Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn is still weighing the statuses of three crucial offensive players for its first true road game against Mississippi State this Saturday.

Top running back JaTarvious Whitlow (shoulder), right tackle Jack Driscoll (leg) and left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho (leg) all suffered injuries in Auburn's 24-13 win over Southern Miss. All three practiced Tuesday.

"They all three practiced yesterday, but were not full speed," head coach Gus Malzahn said on the weekly SEC coaches teleconference.

Whitlow went down before the 2-hour, 44-minute lightning delay after a Southern Miss player landed on his right shoulder. Auburn's leading rusher (326 yards) was examined on the sideline, sent to the locker room and came out after the delay with no pads.

Both tackles sustained their leg injuries in the fourth quarter. Driscoll was first replaced by redshirt freshman Austin Troxell, whose right side of the line allowed a sack on his first play. Redshirt freshman Calvin Ashley quickly supplanted him.

Wanogho's slot was filled by junior Bailey Sharp, who allowed Southern Miss' Jacques Turner to blow by him in the fourth quarter for a strip-sack of Jarrett Stidham.

Malzahn said Tuesday the team's backups at the injured positions will receive added reps in practice this week in case they're needed against Miss State.

"Bailey Sharp, Calvin Ashley, Austin Troxell will be ready to go at the tackle position," Malzahn said. "And all those guys we have confidence in and have gotten a lot of reps in practice, scrimmages and everything that goes with that. Of course, tailback wise, Kam Martin, (Shaun) Shivers, Malik Miller and Asa Martin if Whitlow can’t go."

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Gus Malzahn updates statuses of injured Whitlow, Driscoll, Wanogho” on social media.