Kay Ivey commemorates the start of the 25th annual 'Beat Bama Food Drive'

<p>Gov. Kay Ivey speaks on the Capitol steps during the 25th Auburn-Alabama food drive commemoration on Oct. 1, 2018, in Montgomery, Ala.</p>

Gov. Kay Ivey speaks on the Capitol steps during the 25th Auburn-Alabama food drive commemoration on Oct. 1, 2018, in Montgomery, Ala.

Gov. Kay Ivey made the first food donations in the 25th annual Auburn-Alabama rivalry food drive during an Oct. 1 commemoration ceremony held on the front steps of the Capitol.

Food drive competition presidents, college mascots and other representatives from Auburn University and the University of Alabama gathered with the governor at 11:30 a.m. Monday to kick off the six-week long drive that has been a competitive yearly event since 1994.

“Since their beginnings, ‘Beat Auburn Beat Hunger’ and the ‘Beat Bama Food Drive’ have proven the real impact students can have on our entire state,” Ivey said. “These students are giving Alabamians more than food on their table; they are giving folks across our state a hopeful future. It’s exciting to see these two rivals working for a common goal, and I very much look forward to the good I know that will come from this year’s food drive.”

The two colleges’ mascots, Big Al and Aubie, each gave a bag of food to Ivey, who presented the goods to SGA presidents Dane Block of Auburn and Price McGiffert of Alabama as the first donations of this year’s drive. Ivey posed with Aubie and Auburn cheerleaders and gave a “War Eagle” cry to the cameras.

“Beat Bama Food Drive brings so much attention and awareness to an issue that goes so very unnoticed,” said Liv Taylor, president of Auburn’s food drive. “Food is a basic need that affects our ability to do anything else, and people around us, in our own community, are struggling without us even realizing it. I hope to make an impact by not only raising cans for those who are food insecure but also raising awareness.”

The college food drives will be collecting donations for regional food banks until Nov. 15.

Ivey said the ultimate goal she hoped for was that the two universities collectively beat previous years’ donations and gathered more food than ever before.

Share and discuss “Kay Ivey commemorates the start of the 25th annual 'Beat Bama Food Drive'” on social media.