Live blog: No. 8 Auburn battles Mississippi State in Starkville

<p>Big Kat Bryant (1) and Andrew Williams (79) go through pregame warmups before Auburn football vs. Mississippi State on Oct. 6, 2018, in Starkville, Miss.</p>

Big Kat Bryant (1) and Andrew Williams (79) go through pregame warmups before Auburn football vs. Mississippi State on Oct. 6, 2018, in Starkville, Miss.

Follow along here as The Plainsman sports staff keeps you updated during No. 8 Auburn's first true road game of the season against Mississippi State. We'll keep you posted on scores, news, injuries and analysis.  

Fourth quarter

- 14:30 - Thomas is just shy of the first. Fourth-and-one.

Third quarter

- 1:58 - Boobee Whitlow had a 43-yard touchdown run, but fumbled in the endzone, recovered by MSU for a touchback. 

- 3:30 - Auburn converts a third-and-17 with a throwback screen to John Samuel Shenker. Excellent play call against an aggressive pass rush.

- 4:24 - Three-and-out for the Auburn defense. Offense will start at its own 30.

- 5:45 - 37-yard FIELD GOAL is good from Anders Carlson. Miss State 16, Auburn 6. 1:10 on that drive for Auburn. Defense not given much time to rest.

- 6:40 - Stidham completes a 42-yard pass to Ryan Davis along the right sideline. Tigers inside MSU's 40.

- 6:55 - Christmann hits a 32-yard FIELD GOAL. Miss State 16, Auburn 3. The Bulldogs' drive took 8:05 off the clock.

- 10:10 - Fitzgerald keeps again for another first. Auburn with no answer for the MSU rushing attack.

- 11:25 - Auburn defense appears gassed. Miss State rushing for 30 yards on its opening drive; third-and-short upcoming.

Second quarter

- 0:00 - Not enough evidence to be overturned. TOUCHDOWN, Miss State. Bulldogs go into halftime with momentum to spare. And they get the ball to start the second half.

- 0:00 - Fitzgerald scores, again, but it'll go under review, again. Auburn defense initially reacted as if he was short.

- 0:04 - Fitzgerald scores, but it's overturned after the review shows his elbow down. Fourth-and-goal at the 1-inch line.

- 2:53 - Fitzgerald finding his groove on designed runs. A 15-yard scamper puts MSU in the red zone.

- 4:23 - Ryan Davis touches the punt off a bad bounce, and Miss State recovers the fumble. Bulldogs have it at the Auburn 35.

- 8:50 - After some trickeration, Stidham overthrows Slayton to make the Tigers 0-6 on third downs. No one within 20 yards of Slayton.

- 10:13 - Christmann hits a 46-yard FIELD GOAL to give the Bulldogs the lead, 6-3.

- 11:54 - Fitzgerald finds Mitchell over the middle for 23 yards. State just outside the Auburn 40.

- 12:44 - Carlson misses from 50. Kam Martin bobbled the Wildcat snap on third-and-short to set it up. State takes over at its own 32.

- 15:00 - Stidham sneaks on fourth-and-inches. First down.

First quarter

- 2:11 - Back-to-back receptions from Darius Slayton put Auburn near midfield. Then Boobee Whitlow carries on a toss for the first down.

- 5:00 - 29-yard rush by Fitzgerald. State in the red zone.

- 7:30 - Auburn starting defensive end Big Kat Bryant limped off to the Auburn locker room during the break.

- 7:30 - After a Jeremiah Dinson INT halts Miss State's second drive, Auburn gets points from a 47-yard Anders Carlson FIELD GOAL. Tiger lead 3-0.

- 9:52 - Aeris Williams converts the first first down of the day.

- 11:32 - Jarrett Stidham overthrows Anthony Schwartz on third-and-long. Three-and-out again for the Tigers.

- 12:35 - Miss State goes three-and-out. Fantastic push by Marlon Davidson to pressure Nick Fitzgerald on third down.

- 13:53 - Auburn goes three-and-out on its first drive. Offensive line struggles.

- 15:00 - Kam Martin gets the start at running back. Stidham's first pass is an incompletion.

- Miss State wins the toss and defers. Auburn gets the ball first.

Pregame

- Boobee Whitlow (shoulder) is in pads and warming up with the team.

- Asa Martin (previously No. 20) has changed jersey numbers to No. 3, Nate Craig-Myers' old number.

- All three questionable linemen (Jack Driscoll, leg; Prince Tega Wanogho, leg; and Marquel Harrell, shoulder) are dressed and going through warmups).

-  Auburn's first-team O-line in warmups:  LT: Prince Tega Wanogho LG: Marquel Harrell C: Nick Brahms RG: Mike Horton RT: Jack Driscoll.

- Calvin Ashley will start at right tackle in place of Driscoll. Tega Wanogho gets the nod from Malzahn at left tackle.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Live blog: No. 8 Auburn battles Mississippi State in Starkville” on social media.