OPINION | The Auburn Creed will stand the test of time

Although it has received scrutiny as of late, there is something to be said about a document that stood the test of time

Letters to the editor are submitted by students and community members who wish to speak out on issues pertaining to the Auburn community.

Editor's Note: This is a letter to the editor submitted by Auburn junior Laura Davenport. An opposing view to this letter can be found here.

Written in 1943 the Auburn Creed, captured the spirit of Auburn University and highlighted what this institution stood for and strived toward. Although it has received scrutiny as of late, there is something to be said about a document that stood the test of time. As someone who worked for the University and believes in the Creed and its value, I felt it necessary to address how the document still applies today. 

The Creed starts by saying this is a practical world and we should only count on what we earn. In today’s culture, this statement rings truer than ever before. We should be cognizant of the entitlement that grips so many in our generation and understand that the only things we can accomplish in life are the ones that we put the extra hours in for. If you never go the extra mile, you will always be the average. That’s why Auburn Students still believe in hard work, because we bring more to the table than others around us and are constantly striving to improve.

The second line addresses the education we are working so hard to earn. We are a college recognized for our academic rigor, and our education equips us with the information we need in order to succeed in our chosen career path and shows us the value of good study habits and determination. This rigorous education trains our mind and hands to be disciplined in all our pursuits, both academic and beyond. 

The Creed goes on to mention honesty and truthfulness. Which do, in fact, possess intrinsic value, as that goes without saying. These qualities create the “homey” environment we all know and love. Much like with our own families, being completely vulnerable and honest with the people around us creates deeper relationships between us. When we choose to be honest and truthful we break down walls between us and create an open dialogue and family dynamic that encourages and appreciates honesty all over our campus.

The Creed does address “my fellow men,” as was customary at the time. As a female, I am proud to attend a university that acknowledges where we come from and values where we’re headed. I’m proud that women all over our campus are stepping into leadership roles, and I’m excited to see how women on our campus continue to lead the student body as a whole.

In regards to the line addressing “my country,” Auburn prides itself on being a temporary home for all students from all walks of life. I am also proud to live in a country and attend a university that allows students the freedom to pursue an education. I’m thankful we have men and women fighting daily to secure that freedom for native born citizens and for those who are only here temporarily. While they’re here, I hope they’re proud to call Auburn their home, just like I am. 

So yeah, it’s old. BUT, it can still be applied, and I’m proud to attend a university that values tradition and strives toward improvement.

The views expressed in columns and letters to the editor do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Auburn Plainsman.

Laura Davenport is a biomedical sciences student at Auburn University.

Share and discuss “OPINION | The Auburn Creed will stand the test of time” on social media.