Players to watch, keys to victory for No. 8 Auburn vs. Mississippi State

<p>Jarrett Stidham (8) looks to pass during Auburn football vs. Southern Miss on Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jarrett Stidham (8) looks to pass during Auburn football vs. Southern Miss on Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

This Saturday is a make or break matchup for both schools. 

Auburn with one more loss is all but out of SEC title contention, while Mississippi State is looking to turn its season around after two straight losses. 

Here are this week’s players to watch and keys to victory for the matchup between the No. 8 Auburn Tigers and the Mississippi State Bulldogs:

Montez Sweat and Jeffery Simmons (MSU): 

Auburn’s offensive line is in shambles in its current state, with three starters coming out of the game against Southern Miss with injuries. Not to mention, at full strength, the Tigers offensive line has struggled to open running lanes and keep a clean pocket for Jarrett Stidham. Those are not the problems you want to have going against Mississippi State’s defensive line, specifically Montez Sweat and Jeffery Simmons. 

The one-two combo of Simmons and Sweat is one of the deadliest in the country. The two have combined for 16 tackles for loss and five sacks. If Mississippi State has a clear advantage in one area, it is Sweat and Simmons versus the Auburn offensive line. 

Nick Fitzgerald (MSU):

Senior quarterback Nick Fitzgerald has not had the start that most fans were expecting. Fitzgerald has struggled to hit his receivers consistently, only completing 49.1 percent of his passes. The dual-threat quarterback has had some success on running the football with his rushing yards, nearly halving his passing yardage on the season and even reaching the end zone more on the ground than through the air. 

Auburn’s defensive line has allowed little to no success in the running game, so it will be interesting to see if Fitzgerald can get the job done through the air. 

Kam Martin (Auburn):

With Boobee Whitlow possibly out for this game, it looks like Martin will receive majority of the carries again for the Tigers. Martin has been the lead back in two games this season and has failed to rush for hundred yards in such games. Like mentioned before, the Auburn offensive line is not in good shape which puts Martin in a tight spot to get things done on his own on Saturday. 

Jarrett Stidham (Auburn):

Just like Fitzgerald, Stidham is having an underwhelming season thus far. Stidham’s accuracy has dipped from last season, especially when throwing the deep ball. He has only completed 7 of 19 of his passes that are 20 yards or more downfield. The downfield pass was one of Stidham’s strong suits and one of the reasons Auburn dismantled Mississippi State last season. If Stidham can get back on track in a hostile environment, there is still hope for Auburn’s season. 

Keys to victory

Auburn

· Auburn must make some type of push along the offensive line if they want any shot at having some offensive success. The game is won in the trenches in the SEC and that will be a major key for Auburn on Saturday. 

· Auburn cannot turn the ball over and give Mississippi State good field position. In the first drive against LSU, Stidham threw an interception and set LSU up in Auburn territory, where they easily scored a go-ahead touchdown. The same mistakes cannot be made if they want to walk out of Starkville with a win. 

· Auburn cannot let Fitzgerald make plays with his legs. The Mississippi State quarterback has struggled with accuracy and will try to rely on his legs to make plays when the coverage is tight. If Auburn allows Fitzgerald to extend plays and drives with his legs, it could be a long day for Auburn. 

Mississippi State

· Just like it is a key for Auburn to stop him, it is a key for Mississippi State to get him going. Fitzgerald is the centerpiece of the offense and things run through him, in both the passing and running game. If the Bulldogs want any success against an Auburn defense that is third in scoring defense, allowing only five touchdowns on the season, then they need their signal caller to play lights out. 

· The combination of Sweat and Simmons need to wreak havoc in the Auburn backfield all day. There is a pretty good chance this happens as the two have done it against far superior offensive lines. But the MSU defensive line will play a key role in getting Auburn in three and outs and by doing that it leads into the next key for Mississippi State.

· Maintain a dominant time of possession. The more Auburn’s defense is out on the field, the more they will be worn down later in the game. The Mississippi State offense needs to maintain the clock and convert the third downs, while the defense needs to force Auburn into quick, short drives to give the elite Tiger defense less breaks. 

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory for No. 8 Auburn vs. Mississippi State” on social media.