Auburn softball wraps up fall play with victory

<p>Auburn infielder Casey McCrackin (11) crouches waiting for the pitch during Auburn softball vs Kentucky on Friday, March 23, 2018.</p>

Auburn infielder Casey McCrackin (11) crouches waiting for the pitch during Auburn softball vs Kentucky on Friday, March 23, 2018.

Months away from their 2019 campaign, the Tigers are returning to the offseason with momentum.

Auburn softball closed out the fall season with a 6-2 win against Snead State Community College on Thursday evening at Jane B. Moore Field.

The Tigers struggled in the first inning, allowing Snead State to score two runs. 

Auburn senior Morgan Podany then had a base hit up the middle in the bottom of the second inning, scoring one runner with two outs. 

In the top of the third, Alyssa Rivera prevented a run with a lightning-quick throw to first baseman Justus Perry, cutting it off at the mound. With the bases loaded, Ashlee Swindle would come in to pitch for the Tigers and relieve transfer Lexie Handley. 

Swindle fooled the next batter twice with her timely changeup, getting the Tigers out of the jam.

In the bottom of the third, the Tigers offense really came alive as shortstop Taylon Snow singled up the middle with one out. Senior pitcher Makayla Martin then singled to left, advancing Snow to second base. 

A couple batters later, Tannon Snow exploded, nearly hitting one out of the park, resulting in a double to left field to score her sister, Taylon Snow, and tie the game 2-2.

Later in the bottom of the fourth, Perry singled up the middle, Podany laid down a sacrifice bunt, advancing pinch runner Bree Fornis and second baseman Casey McCrackin. A sacrifice fly from Taylon Snow then brought in Fornis to score. 

Sophomore pitcher Chardonnay Harris came in to close out the top of the fifth, striking out the batter. Rivera scored later after Perry worked the fielder’s choice by beating the throw to first after hesitation from the third baseman. 

Finishing up the game, Fornis knocked one deep off the centerfield wall, resulting in a triple and scoring Brittany Maresette. Fornis then scored on a fielder’s choice from sophomore Makenna Dowell. A 5-3-2 double play turned by Kendall Veach, who later moved to first base from catcher, ended the top of the seventh inning for Snead State and the Tigers closed out the ball game shortly after.

Changes from last year’s lineup include Rivera starting in centerfield as the Tigers search for someone to replace standout speedster Victoria Draper, and Veach moved to catcher, replacing Courtney Shea.

Handley, a transfer pitcher from Akron, is expected to contribute in the circle for the Tigers after the team graduated second team All-SEC pitcher Kaylee Carlson.

The Tigers will be back in action this spring at Jane B. Moore Field. 

Share and discuss “Auburn softball wraps up fall play with victory” on social media.