Tipoff at Toomer's canceled because of Hurricane Michael

Toomer's Corner from the air.
Toomer's Corner from the air.

Tipoff at Toomer's has been canceled because of the expected impact of Hurricane Michael.

The event, scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 11, was canceled Tuesday ahead of Michael's landfall. The hurricane is expected to make landfall along the Florida Panhandle as a major hurricane. It strengthened to a Category 3 storm Tuesday afternoon.

Its track takes it to the east of the Auburn area, but the National Weather Service still expects heavy rain, wind gusts and the potential for flooding.

NOAA satellite imagery shows Hurricane Michael approaching the Florida Panhandle on Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018.

Gov. Kay Ivey issued a state of emergency Monday.

Auburn Athletics said in a statement the event was canceled out of safety concerns.

"[T]he previously planned outside event at iconic Toomer's Corner presented safety concerns for fans, public safety personnel and those who were scheduled to set up the event Wednesday evening," the statement read.

There is no makeup date for the event and the event will not be moved indoors to Auburn Arena.

The Tigers will take to the court Nov. 2 for an exhibition against Lincoln Memorial at 7 p.m. CT. The season begins Nov. 6 against South Alabama at 8 p.m. CT inside Auburn Arena

Share and discuss “Tipoff at Toomer's canceled because of Hurricane Michael” on social media.