5 Liberty players to know for Auburn's home finale

<p>Liberty receiver Antonio Gandy-Golden (11) via Liberty Athletics.</p>

Liberty receiver Antonio Gandy-Golden (11) via Liberty Athletics.

And Auburn thought it had the best nickname roster in college football.

The best names on The Plains this season actually aren't nicknames, however. Other than JaTarvious Whitlow's "Boobee" label, Smoke Monday, Big Kat Bryant, Cord Sandberg, Prince Michael Sammons and Prince Tega Wanogho are all listed as such on the official Auburn roster.

None of those are in the same football-name stratosphere as Buckshot Calvert.

Calvert's first name is actually Stephen, but those in Lynchburg — and those who appreciate one of college football's truest gunslinger names — affectionately call him by his middle name of Buckshot. 

He's just one of a handful of characters to know come Saturday inside Jordan-Hare Stadium, where Auburn will take on Liberty in the Flames' first-ever matchup against an SEC opponent (3 p.m. CST, SEC Network). It's also senior day for the Tigers.

Let's meet the contestants.

Liberty quarterback Stephen Calvert (12) via Liberty Athletics.

Stephen "Buckshot" Calvert | Quarterback

Calvert is more than just a fun name.

The junior is just one of four FBS quarterbacks his age with over 7,000 career passing yards and 60 career scores through the air. 

To put those numbers in perspective: Only one quarterback on either this year or next year's Auburn football schedule has either matched or surpassed those numbers (Washington's Jake Browning — 11,347 yards, 91 TDs).

Calvert needs just three more passing touchdowns to become the program's all-time leader in that category. He's also been helped tremendously in that regard by the next Flame to know.

Antonio Gandy-Golden | Receiver

Gandy-Golden has another great last name, and production to match.

In Liberty's first season in the FBS, Gandy-Golden ranks fifth in the country in receiving yards through 11 weeks with 882 to go along with nine touchdowns. Those numbers earned him a spot on the Biletnikoff Award watch list two weeks ago.

Gandy-Golden has four 100-yard performances this season, including two 200-yard games. He and Calvert pace a Flames offense that has eclipsed 40 points on five occasions this season. They're hoping to be the only team other than Tennessee to score 30 or more on the Tigers defense.

The 6-foot-4 vertical weapon needs 118 more receiving yards to record back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, and he's got three more games to do it. 

Liberty guard Dontae Duff (56) via Liberty Athletics.

Dontae Duff | Offensive guard

Duff will be counted on to hold Auburn's elite defensive line at bay.

The redshirt junior team captain was named to back-to-back All-Big South second teams the past two seasons before Liberty moved to the FBS.

In 2017, Duff received a grade of 97 for protection and allowed just one sack.

Liberty defensive lineman Juwan Wells (54) via Liberty Athletics.

Juwan Wells | Defensive end

Wells is Liberty's tackling machine.

Also a 2017 second-teamer in the Big South, the senior is the team's career leader in tackles (215), tackles for loss (35) and sacks (17). 

Wells usually puts his hand in the dirt and chases the quarterback, but he can also float to a standup edge rusher or outside linebacker position. His versatility along the front seven allowed to lead the Big South in tackles per game by a defensive lineman (6.7) last season.

Liberty defensive end Jessie Lemonier (11) via Liberty Athletics.

Jessie Lemonier | Defensive end

Yes, you're reading that last name correctly.

Jessie is the younger brother of former All-SEC Auburn linebacker Corey Lemonier (2010-12). In his first season with the Flames after transferring from Ventura College (Calif.), Jessie Lemonier has been a menace to opposing quarterbacks.

He leads the team in sacks (9) and tackles for loss (12.5). Lemonier has caught fire in the week's leading up to playing his brother's old team, racking up six sacks in the last three games alone.

Jessie Lemonier is one of just five players in the FBS averaging one or more sack per game. His nine sacks are eighth in the nation, more than the likes of Clemson's Clelin Ferrell, Alabama's Christian Miller — and Auburn's Nick Coe.

He needs just one more sack in Liberty's final three games to beat his brother's best season at Auburn (10 sacks, 2011).

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “5 Liberty players to know for Auburn's home finale” on social media.