Auburn volleyball comes up short in battle of the Tigers

<p>Brenna McIlroy (8). Auburn Volleyball vs Arkansas on Sunday, October 28, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. &nbsp;Anthony Hall/Auburn Athletics</p>

Brenna McIlroy (8). Auburn Volleyball vs Arkansas on Sunday, October 28, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.  Anthony Hall/Auburn Athletics

In the battle of the Tigers, Auburn was all but outclassed in a sweep, 3-0 at the hands of Mizzou on Wednesday evening inside Auburn Arena.

“I thought they were the more aggressive team throughout the night,” said Auburn head coach Rick Nold.

Mizzou finished the night with 46 kills and eight blocks. Eleven of those kills came from Dariana Hollingsworth, and 10 were by Alyssa Munlyn. 

On Auburn’s side, Tatum Shipes led the team with 10 kills. On the defensive side, Anna Stevenson contributed to four blocks. Auburn had 37 kills, 33 digs, 35 assists and four blocks on the night.

Set 1 started with a quick 4-1 lead for Mizzou, but Auburn fought back to tie it up at 8-8. From there the game stayed close, each team going point-for-point with the other. The set saw 10 ties and four lead changes. Missouri took a decent lead at 20-17 capitalizing on an Auburn attack error and a block by Andrea Fuentes and Munlyn. 

Missouri took the first set 25-21. Stevenson led things for Auburn in Set 1 with three blocks. Shipes contributed three kills for Auburn’s offense.

It was back and forth between the two Tiger teams for the first half of Set 2. Neither team earned a three-point lead until Mizzou took one at 18-15. Auburn got back in it and tied the game at 22-22 with an ace from Bella Rosenthall. Mizzou won the set 25-23.

Munlyn and Tyanna Omazic led Mizzou offensively in the set with five kills apiece. Omazic also contributed to one of the two blocks the team had in the set.

In Set 3, Missouri took the quick 9-4 lead with the Tigers able to block several of Auburn’s attempted kills. Auburn took the lead only once in the set. Missouri won the match 3-0 with a Set 3 victory of 25-16.

“With a team like that, they’re a good team,” Nold said. “If you’re gonna back away at all, they’re going to take advantage of it.”

Auburn will next take on Florida at Auburn Arena on Sunday at noon CST.

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball comes up short in battle of the Tigers” on social media.