Auburn defense stifles pass-happy Liberty in assertive shutout win

<p>Smoke Monday (21) celebrates an interception during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday, &nbsp;Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Smoke Monday (21) celebrates an interception during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday,  Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Deshaun Davis came through with the history.

After senior linebacker Darrell Williams recorded a pick-six in the first quarter of a 53-0 win over Liberty on Senior Day, Davis apparently did his research on the play.

"Hey, that's the first time the linebacker has had an interception in four years," Davis said postgame.

He was close. When Williams lept up for a pass from Liberty quarterback Stephen Calvert in the first quarter, it marked the first pick by a Tigers linebacker since Justin Garrett intercepted then-Texas A&M quarterback Kyler Murray in a 2015 win over the Aggies.

Darrell Williams (49) runs the ball during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

The play meant everything to Davis, Williams and the linebacking corps.

According to Davis, linebackers coach Travis Williams teases the position group about their lack of interceptions. Davis said when they watch other teams, it sometimes seems the ball falls right into a linebacker's arms. He, Williams and fellow senior Montavious Atkinson then say, "Bro, why can't that be us?"

"No one in our senior class had an interception," Davis said. "No one last year had an interception... (Darrell Williams) got the interception, and for him to take it for a touchdown on senior day, I know it's a moment he'll never forget. 

"I had a pretty good view of it, also. That's something that I'll never forget. We'll talk about that whenever a reunion time comes around."

Davis and the soon-to-be has-beens were able to relax for most of the second half, as head coach Gus Malzahn deployed the backups while Auburn (7-4) was enjoying its first shutout of an FBS opponent in just over a decade (34-0 vs. Louisiana Monroe, 2008).

A shutout was the goal in practice this week. Gus Malzahn said that defensive coordinator Kevin Steele preached it in game preparation as the goal for the star seniors on his side of the ball.

The result was emphatic. Auburn's win in its home finale was the largest shutout victory since a 62-0 win over Fresno State in 1996.

"We'd been pressing that all week and every day we said we were gonna get a shutout," Darrell Williams said. "We spoke it into existence again."

The gameplan was straightforward: shut down Flames quarterback Stephen "Buckshot" Calvert, who is one of four junior QBs in the FBS to have over 7,000 yards and 60 passing touchdowns in his career.

In Liberty's first-ever trip to an SEC venue, Calvert was rattled all night, completing just 9 of 29 passes (32 percent) for 79 yards in his worst game of the season. The loss was just the second outing of Calvert's career in which he threw for less than 100 yards.

He threw two interceptions — including Williams' pick-six — and was strip-sacked twice. The first strip-sack came from Big Kat Bryant, who started in place of Nick Coe (wrist) at defensive end. The other was plucked right from Calvert's hands by Gary Walker.

In the second quarter, Calvert hit a stretch of 11 straight incompletions. In the third quarter, he found himself amid a 1-for-19 stretch. 

Auburn's cornerbacks found themselves in the passing lane seemingly every throw. The Tigers' nine pass breakups were their most this season.

In Calvert's own words, he was overwhelmed.

Marlon Davidson (3) tackles Stephen Calvert (12) during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

"They kind of big boy'd us this game," Calvert said. "We have to come out more physical. They were obviously the better team. They had the size, the physicality and the depth. Playing that type of team is just a good experience. A good way to test and see where your team is at physically and mentally. Hats off to them. They are a really good team."

Auburn is hoping the old adage "defense travels" applies next Saturday in Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl. Kickoff against No. 1 Alabama is set for 2:30 p.m. CST on CBS.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn defense stifles pass-happy Liberty in assertive shutout win” on social media.