Auburn Outdoors leading beginner road cycling trip

<p>Auburn University student Caitlin Miley tries one of the new War Eagle Bike Share bicycles.</p>

Auburn University student Caitlin Miley tries one of the new War Eagle Bike Share bicycles.

Everyday, many Auburn University students choose to ride a bike as their means of transportation because it can be cheaper and more environmentally friendly than other alternatives. For some, the constant traffic on roads and danger associated with it can be intimidating, but Auburn Outdoors is here to help.

Auburn Outdoors is hosting a free, beginner-level trip on Nov. 30 called Intro to Bicycle Road Riding - Mission: Coffee Run. Bikes and helmets will be provided free of charge.

The trip will be a relaxed ride starting at the Recreation and Wellness Center that will go all the way to the Opelika area. Along the trip, the group of riders will stop at Side Track Coffee to socialize and get a caffeine break before hopping back on and riding the ten miles back to the Auburn Outdoors Rental Center. 

Jordan Morgan, one of the leaders of the trip, said that one of the goals of this trip is to simply get more people comfortable riding on the roads and know how to do so safely.

“We’ll go over some basic rules of the road," Morgan said. "We’ll talk about the importance of wearing a helmet and how you’ll be on the road, and you’ll have to follow the same rules that a car will."

Morgan said that although riders have to follow the same rules as cars, they obviously have to be more aware and take more precautions than a car does. This would include using reflective lights on the bicycle.

She said that the trip is open to anyone, regardless of riding ability.

“Just as long as you know how to ride a bike, you’re good," Morgan said. "Come out, and just hang with a good group of people who all have similar interests, and get a good cup of coffee while you’re at it.” 

Share and discuss “Auburn Outdoors leading beginner road cycling trip ” on social media.