Malzahn: Auburn WR Ryan Davis expected to make full recovery after scary hit

<p>Ryan Davis (23) before Auburn football vs. Georgia on Nov. 10, 2018, in Athens, Ga.</p>

Ryan Davis (23) before Auburn football vs. Georgia on Nov. 10, 2018, in Athens, Ga.

Tigers senior receiver Ryan Davis will be fine after taking a scary shot to the head in Auburn's 52-21 Iron Bowl loss to Alabama, according to head coach Gus Malzahn.

"He took a pretty good shot to the head," Malzahn said. "They expect him to make a full recovery. He was out on the field afterward."

Davis was hit on a slant by Alabama defensive back Jared Mayden, who was ejected for targeting on the play and will miss the first half of next week's SEC Championship against Georgia.

Davis remained down on the field for a few minutes. Players on both teams knelt beside him before Davis sat up, then walked off the field mostly under his own power.

Davis caught four passes for just 15 yards in the loss. He also threw his second touchdown of the season — a 23-yard toss to Malik Miller on a trick play in the second quarter.

Two weeks ago in a loss at Georgia, Davis passed Courtney Taylor (153) for the most receptions by a player in Auburn history. In that game, Davis and quarterback Jarrett Stidham also became the most productive tandem in program history, passing Terry Beasley and Pat Sullivan.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Malzahn: Auburn WR Ryan Davis expected to make full recovery after scary hit” on social media.