Report: Former Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant takes visit to Auburn

Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant (2) throws a pass in the first half. Auburn vs Clemson on Saturday, Sept. 9 in Clemson, S.C.

Add Auburn to Kelly Bryant's list of potential suitors.

The former Clemson quarterback took a visit to The Plains on Tuesday, according to a report by The State's Matt Connolly.

Bryant left the Clemson program in late September after true freshman Trevor Lawrence took over the starting quarterback job. Auburn joins North Carolina, Arkansas and Missouri as schools visited by Bryant since. He plans to add Mississippi State to that list soon.

“It was a good trip just sitting down and talking with coach and getting a feel for what they were all about,” Bryant told The State about his trip to Auburn. “Feel it would be a good situation to be able to step into with the guys they will have coming back on both sides of the ball.” 

If redshirt junior Jarrett Stidham decides to take his talents to the NFL at the conclusion of this season — as most expect him to — Auburn's quarterback room would consist of sophomore Malik Willis, freshman Joey Gatewood, 23-year-old freshman Cord Sandberg and Bo Nix, a 4-star 2019 commit from Pinson Valley, Alabama.

"It was good because it’s kind of crazy how things come full circle," Bryant told Rivals.com. "In high school I camped there, went to junior day and everything and that was one offer I always wanted. Just having the opportunity to sit down and talk with Malzahn and the coaches, it was really good to get down there and just listen to see what they have to say and what I would be walking into."

At Clemson, Bryant started 18 games, racking up 3,333 yards and 16 passing touchdowns while adding 16 more touchdowns and 987 yards on the ground.

Last season, Bryant led the Tigers to a 12-2 record, an ACC Championship and No. 1 seed in the College Football Playoff. That season also included a Week 2 victory over Stidham and Auburn, 14-6 in Death Valley.

As a graduate transfer, Bryant will be immediately eligible to play in 2019 wherever he lands. The NCAA's new redshirt rule allowed Bryant to retain his final year of eligibility because he did not appear in more than four games for Clemson this season.

He hopes to reach a decision by the end of November.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Report: Former Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant takes visit to Auburn” on social media.