Ryan Davis nearing 2 Auburn receiving records as season reaches final stretch

<p>Ryan Davis (23) during Auburn Football vs. LSU on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Ryan Davis (23) during Auburn Football vs. LSU on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Ryan Davis will be on the verge of breaking a pair of Auburn records when he steps on the field Saturday in Athens.

The senior set a new school record last year for total catches (84) in a season and needs only two more receptions to beat the Auburn record for career receptions, which is currently held by Courtney Taylor (153). 

“Everything that’s thrown his way, he absolutely deserves,” said Tigers quarterback Jarrett Stidham. “He deserves all the recognition for it.” 

With 13 more completed passes, Stidham and Davis could also become the most productive tandem in the history of Auburn football. The duo would beat out Terry Beasley and Heisman winner Pat Sullivan.

Last year, Stidham completed 16 passes for 214 yards and three touchdowns against Georgia. Stidham has regressed this year, but has shown signs of improvement lately, totaling almost 500 passing yards in the last two games alone.

Davis also had an impressive game against Georgia last season. The then-junior had a 26-yard punt return and a 32-yard touchdown pass from Stidham. Davis logged five receptions for 55 total yards that game.

There’s no denying that the Florida native has come a long way during his time in the Auburn football program, considering he went without a single catch during his freshman season. 

Though the receiver has yet to score a touchdown this year (a first since his freshman 2015 season), he has racked up 396 yards. Last week against Texas A&M, Davis had his longest reception of the season (48 yards).

"He’s earned every bit of it," Stidham said. "He really has. I’m just happy to be a small part of that."

The senior has at least another three games to take a shot at the record books. Auburn and Georgia will kick at 6 p.m. CST on ESPN.

Share and discuss “Ryan Davis nearing 2 Auburn receiving records as season reaches final stretch” on social media.