Samir Doughty 'likely' to make Auburn debut in season opener

<p>Head Coach Bruce Pearl coaches his team during a timeout&nbsp;during Auburn Basketball vs. Vanderbilt at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018.</p>

Head Coach Bruce Pearl coaches his team during a timeout during Auburn Basketball vs. Vanderbilt at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018.

Auburn fans may be getting their first look at a versatile guard tomorrow night.

Bruce Pearl said Monday that Samir Doughty (ankle), is "likely" to play in Auburn's season opener against South Alabama after going through contact practices Sunday. Doughty suffered a high-ankle sprain in practice on Oct. 23.

Pearl said fans should expect to see Doughty, starting point guard Jared Harper and starting shooting guard Bryce Brown all on the floor at the same time.

“It was great to have him back," Pearl said of Doughty. "As we go through games and practices, he’ll be much more indoctrinated with what we’re doing."

Doughty sat out last season per NCAA regulations after transferring from VCU. As a Ram in the 2016-17 season, he averaged 9 points, 2.1 assists and 3.6 rebounds per game.

Pearl added that center Austin Wiley (foot) is out for the Tigers' opener. He wasn't able to complete the same contact drills Doughty was, so Pearl is still evaluating his condition. The coach said there's "a chance" Wiley returns later this week.

Doughty joins an Auburn lineup that started Harper, Brown, Malik Dunbar at the three, Chuma Okeke at the four and Anfernee McLemore at center in its exhibition win over Lincoln Memorial last Friday, 76-62. 

Forward Danjel Purifoy played, as his suspension for last year's FBI investigation only includes regular-season games. He won't return to the lineup until Auburn plays UAB on Dec. 15.

The Tigers tip off with South Alabama at 8 p.m. CST inside Auburn Arena.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Samir Doughty 'likely' to make Auburn debut in season opener ” on social media.