The future of public transportation for Auburn

A public transit system doesn’t seem to be on the horizon with the City of Auburn not officially looking into any type of public transportation at this time.

Jim Buston, Auburn’s city manager, said that public transportation was considered for a time, but as of right now, the city is not ready to take on that responsibility. 

“Right now, we are a city that is transitioning from a small town to a medium-sized city,” Buston said. “Presently, there are two things we have found— there is not enough ridership to warrant a full-fledged transportation system, and it is extremely costly.”

Auburn has partnered with the Lee-Russell Council of Government in the past to provide public transportation for Auburn residents. The amount of acceptance for the program was too low to sustain it, Buston said. 

There have been “informal” talks within the city of expanding Auburn University’s Tiger Transit to a city-wide service for everyone to use, but as of now, they remain only passing remarks, Buston said. 

The future of public transportation in the City of Auburn may be unsure right now, but it is not something that has been disregarded entirely. 

As a stepping stone to a full-fledged transportation service, electric bicycles that can be rented are being considered and tested.

“I think we are testing two or three of the motorized assisted bicycles, and I do see that as an option moving forward,” Buston said. “The bicycle has everything it needs to be street legal, the lights and reflectors as defined by state law to be on the road with.”

Earlier this year, Bird Scooters, an electric scooter sharing company, began operating in Auburn without a business license. The city impounded the scooters and the company has since ceased operation in Auburn, The Plainsman previously reported. 

Residents shouldn’t expect electric scooters to make a return anytime soon, Buston said.

“I don’t think, given state law, that we will ever be able to allow the electric scooters,” Buston said. “Unless state law changes, the scooters would not be allowed on the roadways, so I don’t ever see those being allowed in Auburn.”

For now, Auburn residents will have to stick to the Lee-Russell Public Transit for their public-transportation needs. Seats must be reserved at least 24 hours in advance, and the service does not operate on the weekends.

“It’s in the millions of dollars to run a public transit system and at least part of that returned to the treasury from the ridership,” Buston said. “But at some point, we will be big enough to sustain it, and we will try to make a system that is uniquely Auburn.”

Share and discuss “The future of public transportation for Auburn” on social media.