Tigers take their fourth conference win with sweep of Georgia

<p>Tatum Shipes (21) hits the ball during Auburn volleyball vs. Ole Miss on Friday, Oct. 26, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Tatum Shipes (21) hits the ball during Auburn volleyball vs. Ole Miss on Friday, Oct. 26, 2018, in Auburn, Ala. 

Auburn hoped to end its season on a high note, and its sweep of Georgia on Thursday night gave it its fourth conference win for the year. 

Brenna McIlroy led the team with 16 kills. She also contributed eight digs and three aces. Helping her out on the offense was Tatum Shipes, who had nine kills, and Chesney McClellan who had eight. 

Mica Allison had 39 assists on the night. Freshman Katie Persons had two aces to go with McIlroy’s three. 

On the defensive side, Bella Rosenthall had 15 digs, while Karis Beasley dug up 13. McClellan led the team with four blocks. Gwyn Jones helped block three. The Tigers held the Bulldogs to a .088 hitting clip. This is only the second time this season the Tigers have been able to hold their opponents below .100.

“I was happy to see us play a complete game tonight,” said head coach Rick Nold. “ I felt that we were the aggressor the entire match, and kept Georgia on their heels.”

The Bulldogs started the match strong, taking a 10-6 lead early on. Kills from Jones, Mcilroy and McClellan gained the Tigers a 21-17 lead. A kill from Anna Stevenson and Shipes gave Auburn the set one win at 26-24.

The Tigers held onto that momentum in set two, taking a 19-8 lead quickly. They took set two with a 25-14 win.

Georgia fought back in set three. It was back and forth until Auburn pulled ahead at 14-10. Shipes’s three straight kills combined with an ace from Mcilroy got the Tigers ahead 20-14. Georgia called a timeout and regrouped to regain the lead and force set point at 24-23. The teams battled for the win, with Auburn taking the W with a kill from Mcilroy. The Tigers took the set 29-27, and won the match 3-0.

“I’m proud of the way we stepped up to the challenge tonight,” Nold said.

Auburn has two matches left in the regular season. On Wednesday, Nov. 21, they will host Mississippi State with the match starting at 7 p.m. CST. The last home match of the regular season is also Senior Day for the Tigers. 

Share and discuss “Tigers take their fourth conference win with sweep of Georgia ” on social media.