Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham accepts Senior Bowl invite

<p>Jarrett Stidham throws deep in the first half. Liberty at Auburn on Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jarrett Stidham throws deep in the first half. Liberty at Auburn on Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Before Jarrett Stidham gets around to his official NFL preparations, he'll be participating in this year's Senior Bowl.

Auburn's starting quarterback for the past two seasons has accepted his invitation to the 2019 Senior Bowl, set for Jan. 26, 2019 in Mobile, Alabama. 

Stidham joins senior defensive tackle Dontavius Russell as the only Auburn players to receive and accept an invitation. 

First team All-SEC linebacker Deshaun Davis, a Mobile native, did not receive an invite. Receiver Ryan Davis, who ranks first in receptions in program history, and senior linebacker Darrell Williams were snubbed, as well.

Stidham will round out a quarterback room consisting of Northwestern's Clayton Thorson, North Carolina State's Ryan Finley, West Virginia's Will Grier, Penn State's Trace McSorley and Washington State's Gardner Minshew.

After one season at Baylor, Stidham took a year off from football in 2016 before signing with Auburn that December. 

As the leader of the Tigers offense since 2017, Stidham passed for 5,579 yards, 31 touchdowns and 11 interceptions en route to a 17-11 record as a starter in an Auburn uniform. He currently ranks sixth in passing yards and is tied for seventh in passing touchdowns in program history.

Tuesday, Stidham officially declared for the NFL Draft. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound quarterback currently projects anywhere from the second to fourth rounds.

"Words cannot describe the gratitude I have for the opportunity to play college football at Auburn University," Stidham said in a tweet. "Thank you to all of my family, friends, coaches, and support staff for always believing in me. Thank you to my teammates who I have grown so close to and have made countless memories with. I will cherish the  relationships with you guys forever. 

"Also, a special thank you to the Auburn Family. You are the best fans in the country. With that being said, I have decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft. I love Auburn and am a proud alumni. War Eagle, forever."

Speculation had been surrounding whether Stidham would play in the Music City Bowl against Purdue on Dec. 28. Head coach Gus Malzahn appears to have laid those rumors to rest.

"Jarrett has been a terrific player for us the last two years, leading us to an SEC West title and becoming one of the most prolific passers in Auburn history," Malzahn said when Stidham declared for the draft. "He has tremendous ability and a bright future ahead of him.  I look forward to seeing Jarrett perform one more time in an Auburn uniform and can't wait to see him playing in the NFL next year and for years to come."

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham accepts Senior Bowl invite” on social media.