Cheap eats: ALDI coming to Opelika

A popular grocery store known for its cost-effective shopping is coming to Opelika this year and will be located near Tiger Town

Aldi's planning to open in Tiger Town in Opelika, Ala.

A popular grocery store known for its cost-effective shopping is coming to Opelika this year and will be located near Tiger Town. 

ALDI is being built on Frederick Road, close to the popular shopping center, and is set to open in the first quarter of 2019.

The grocery store is similar to other stores, featuring the usual fresh produce, meats and baked goods, but ALDI has some unique shopping quirks that set the store apart from competitors. 

Customers are encouraged to bring their own shopping bags and can rent shopping carts by providing a quarter and receiving the coin back upon return of the cart.

ALDI does this to keep shopping carts organized and out of parking lots, according to the ALDI website.

“Hopefully it will have a positive effect by bringing devout ALDI shoppers to the Tiger Town area,” said Lori Huguley, Opelika director of economic development. “While they (shoppers) are here, they could possibly have other dining or shopping needs to be met in the adjacent Tiger Town development.”

Huguley said the full economic impact ALDI will bring to Opelika is yet to be determined since she does not have their sales projections. 

Huguley said she has shopped at ALDI before and believes it will be well received in Opelika. 

“I think the selection of Opelika by ALDI indicates their desire to be close to the region’s largest outdoor shopping destination, and they want to take advantage of the high volume of shoppers,” Huguley said. “It also works in reverse, that the people that may come specifically to shop at ALDI will find ample opportunities for further shopping or dining needs.”

Currently, the nearest ALDI is located in Columbus, Georgia, 39 miles away from Auburn University.  

Share and discuss “Cheap eats: ALDI coming to Opelika” on social media.