Derrian Gobourne shines in Auburn gymnastic's upset of No. 4 LSU

"Everyone screaming at the end of Derrian's floor routine, that was as loud as we can get in this building in gymnastics," said Auburn head coach Jeff Graba.

<p>No. 14 Auburn Gymnastics defeated No. 4 LSU 196.700 - 196.275 on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

No. 14 Auburn Gymnastics defeated No. 4 LSU 196.700 - 196.275 on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

In Auburn’s 196.700-196.275 win over No. 4 LSU on Friday night, freshman Derrian Gobourne dominated during the Tigers' conference opener with an all-around competition score of 39.475. 

"The environment was so fun," Gobourne said. "Just to hear everyone cheer and scream for you is an amazing feeling."

Gobourne competed in the all-around competition for the first time as a Tiger after competing in three events in the team's first meet against Iowa. The freshman also improved her scores on all three events this week while capping the night with an upset-clinching score of 9.950 on floor exercise.

"Everyone screaming at the end of Derrian's floor routine, that was as loud as we can get in this building in gymnastics," said Auburn head coach Jeff Graba. “We got better tonight because of our fans."

The Sarasota, Florida, native won 11 Level-10 all-around titles in the past three years while also participating in the Nastia Liukin Cup, and was a member of the Junior Olympic Team.

Auburn also received significant contribution from all-around participant Drew Watson, who qualified for the all-around national championships last year. Watson’s top event was the uneven bars, showcasing a score of 9.900 with a stuck dismount. 

Abby Milliet contributed three scores of 9.900 or higher on the night, while her floor exercise score of 9.900 officially shut the door on LSU.

LSU was led by all-around competitor Sarah Finnegan, who finished with four scores of 9.825 or higher. Lexie Priessman also added scores of 9.925 on bars and a 9.80 on vault.

After performing for a roaring sellout crowd Auburn will travel to Missouri, who will be attempting to rebound from a road-opening loss at Florida, for another in-conference matchup.

Share and discuss “Derrian Gobourne shines in Auburn gymnastic's upset of No. 4 LSU ” on social media.