Auburn recruiting tracker: Breaking down the Tigers' chances with their biggest targets

<p>Coach Gus Malzahn. Auburn football Tuesday presser on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Coach Gus Malzahn. Auburn football Tuesday presser on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

The wait is almost over. College Football’s National Signing Day is a matter of hours away, and when ink meets paper on Feb. 6, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn hopes to walk away with another top-10 recruiting class.

As of now, the Tigers sit at No. 12 in the 247 composite rankings with 16 signees and 19 total commitments. Will they do enough on Wednesday to jump into the Top 10? Here’s an inside look at Auburn’s remaining targets and where they may land come Signing Day.

OFFENSE

OG Kamaar Bell (3-star)

6’3” | 317 lbs. | Colquitt County (GA)

This is a toss-up between Auburn and Florida State. Bell’s last official visit to Tallahassee was on Jan. 25 and reports were that it went very well, which should keep the Tigers on edge until Wednesday. However, Auburn and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes have made it clear throughout the whole process that they have a need at center, and they want Bell to fill that hole. The Seminoles are the biggest threat, but I don’t think it will be enough to flip him in the end.

Lean: 60% Auburn

OG Ira Henry (3-star)

6’5” | 298 lbs. | Trinity Catholic (MO)

Much like Bell, Henry could go either way. And much like Bell, it may end up coming down to Auburn or Florida State. Both Henry and Bell visited Florida State the same weekend, and my gut tells me that their relationship will take them to the same destination. I will go with Auburn for now because of Bell, but I don’t expect the two to go separate ways. Either they both end up on the Plains, or they both end up in Tallahassee.

Lean: 55% Auburn

RB Jamious Griffin (4-star)

5’10” | 205 lbs. | Rome (GA)

After backing off from his commitment to North Carolina State in January, Griffin caught more interest from neighboring schools like Auburn, Georgia Tech, and even Florida State in a hurry. Of late, however, the Tigers have focused more on landing other running back target Mark-Antony Richards instead while the Yellow Jackets and Seminoles have continued to pursue.

Barring a late shift in Richards’ decision, I expect Griffin’s family connections to keep him in state.

Lean: 90% Georgia Tech

RB Mark-Antony Richards (4-star)

6’1” | 187 lbs. | Wellington (FL)

Richards is at the top of Malzahn’s wish list. The Palm Beach native is the No. 3 all-purpose back in the 2019 class, and has the speed and agility not only run, but also receive out of the backfield. The Tigers, who have missed on running back prospects the past few years, have made a strong push of late, but it will be hard to get Richards out of state and out of the hands of Miami who has long been the favorite. In the end, I do think Cadillac Williams, Auburn’s newly appointed running back’s coach, makes the difference.

Lean: 65% Auburn

WR George Pickens (5-star)

6’4” | 190 lbs. | Hoover (AL)

Pickens has been committed to Auburn essentially since his recruiting process began, but he still decided not to sign in December which has made many Auburn fans quite anxious the past few months. The Hoover wide-out is the No.1 player in the state, according to Rivals, and is the gem of the 2019 class. Other than Auburn, the only other realistic landing spot is Georgia which chould be the surprise decision of the day if Pickens does indeed flip. However, I expect Pickens longstanding relationship with Auburn early enrollee Bo Nix to keep him with the Tigers.

Lean: 75% Auburn

DEFENSE

OLB Octavius Brothers (3-star)

6’2” | 228 lbs. | Rockledge (FL)

Brothers named Auburn his leader in January when he visited with Malzahn and linebackers coach Travis Williams. North Carolina and Miami have hung around but are trending down, and I don’t think they were ever really a threat to beat out Williams. The Tigers should be feeling safe where they are right now.

Lean: 95% Auburn

DT Ledarrius Cox (3-star)

6’4” | 310 lbs. | McGill Toolen (AL)

Cox is a longtime Tennessee commit, but he never canceled his Auburn official visit. The Alabama native was in Auburn on Jan. 18 and reports are that the Tigers feel good about where they are at. This one has been hard to track, but the Volunteers might be tight on open spots in their class which could end up being the little push Auburn needs to get the flip.

Lean: 80% Auburn

SDE Quashon Fuller (4-star)

6’4” | 255 lbs. | Lehigh (FL)

Fuller, who has been committed to Florida State since February of 2017, visited Auburn in December but it never really gained traction. The Seminoles’ only threat right now is Nick Saban and Alabama, with Fuller’s most recent official visit being in Tuscaloosa. I’m going to stick with Florida State, simply because of how long he has been committed, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Crimson Tide get a late steal.

Lean: 60% Florida State

ATH Maurice Hampton (4-star)

5’11” | 190 lbs. | Memphis University School (TN)

Auburn made a strong push for Hampton down the stretch, who plans to play both football and baseball at the collegiate level. The Tigers sent down the whole staff for an in-home visit, but even that won’t be enough to flip the Memphis product. Hampton’s father said that he was done taking visits so I expect that to mean there won’t be any changes for the two-sport star.

Lean: 65% LSU

SDE Charles Moore (4-star)

6’3” | 270 lbs. | Louisville (MS)

Behind Richards and Pickens, Moore is another one of those players that Malzahn can’t afford to miss out on. This race will come down to Auburn and Florida in my opinion. Marcus Woodson and Rodney Garner have recruited Moore heavily since Mississippi State lost his commitment and the Tigers have been considered the leader of late. However, Moore committed to the Bulldogs when Dan Mullen was at the helm and he now wants him to follow him to Florida. I’m giving the Tigers a slight edge, because of Moore’s friendship with the coaching staff, as well as new Auburn signee Jaren Handy.

Lean: 70% Auburn

S Jammie Robinson (4-star)

5’11” | 190 lbs. | Lee County (GA)

There shouldn’t be any surprises here. Although the Tigers made a late push and hosted Robinson for his official on Jan. 11, it won’t be enough to overtake South Carolina and Robinson’s relationship with Gamecocks’ defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson. South Carolina has been the favorite for most of the year and all signs point to Robinson signing with them on Wednesday.

Lean: 85% South Carolina

Share and discuss “Auburn recruiting tracker: Breaking down the Tigers' chances with their biggest targets” on social media.