Auburn softball shuts out UAB in home opener

<p>Makayla Martin (29) pitches during Auburn softball vs. UAB on Feb. 14, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Makayla Martin (29) pitches during Auburn softball vs. UAB on Feb. 14, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

With a six-run fourth inning, Auburn walked out of the fifth with a run-rule victory.

It was a hot night at the plate and on the mound for the Tigers on Thursday night as they shut out UAB 9-0. Makayla Martin finished her 13th career shutout with seven strikeouts and just one hit allowed.

Auburn moves to 4-2 on the season, with Martin improving her record to 2-1.

"We want to be consistent," head coach Mickey Dean said. "Don't let the moment be too big and don't be too big for the moment. That's something we emphasize. We want to be a great hitting team."

Taylon Snow and Justus Perry added two RBIs each in the nine-run victory. 

After 11 home runs to open the season, Auburn returned home to hit none in its run-rule win. 

The night started off with scattered singles and doubles before a dominant six-run fourth inning. This came in response to the only scoreless inning by Auburn. 

The bottom of the fourth was the last seen of the offense, as the game was sealed after three straight outs in the top of the fifth. 

“We have taken the batting average out of how we look at our hitters," Dean said. "All we look at is quality at bat." 

The Tigers had more than a quality at bat on the night, ending with 11 hits and zero batters struck out. 

Auburn will look to build on its offensive spark as it hosts the Furman Paladins on Feb. 15 at 6 p.m. EST. The game will be the second of four for Auburn in the Plainsman Invitational. 

Share and discuss “Auburn softball shuts out UAB in home opener” on social media.