Auburn sophomore Unique Thompson flirting with elite company as SEC slate nears finish

Unique Thompson (20) dribbles the ball during Auburn Women's Basketball vs. Georgia on Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn basketball's season has been a highly successful one. Not only have the Tigers won 20 games and counting for the first time in the regular season under head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy, but they've also ensured at least a .500 winning percentage in the SEC. 

One of the factors that has contributed to the team's success this season is the continued development of sophomore forward Unique Thompson. 

In her freshman season, Thompson started in 27 of 29 games and grabbed 227 rebounds on the season while averaging 8.4 total rebounds a game. 

In Year 2 Thompson has 275 rebounds through 27 games, and with two regular season games and the SEC Tournament left, she could reach 300 rebounds on the season. She is averaging 10.3 rebounds a game and is in the top 30 in the NCAA for rebounds this season and is third in the SEC. 

Following Auburn's 58-54 win against Missouri last Sunday, Thompson found herself in the record books after grabbing her 500th career rebound. She is the third Tiger to have 500 rebounds through her sophomore season. 

Thompson joins Auburn alumnae Cicely "C.C." Hayden and Becky Jackson in the group.

Hayden played at Auburn for three seasons from 1989-92 and finished her career with 749 rebounds. While at Auburn, her teams appeared in the NCAA championship twice and the Elite Eight in her final season. 

Hayden recorded 242 rebounds in her first season and 253 in the second. Following her Auburn playing career, she joined the SEC Greats Class of 2010.

Jackson played at Auburn for four seasons from 1980-84 and finished her career with 1,118 rebounds — the most in program history. Jackson was a four-time All-SEC player, and just like Hayden, she joined the SEC Greats class in 2013. 

Jackson, whose No. 34 jersey was retired in 2013, recorded 359 rebounds in her first season and 213 rebounds in Year 2.

Thompson joins elite company with these two Auburn legends, but her and the rest of the Tigers still have a long way to go this season with two challenging regular season games left on the schedule. 

First, they host No.14 South Carolina tonight at 6 p.m. CST, then they travel to Baton Rouge to take on LSU on Sunday at 2 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Auburn sophomore Unique Thompson flirting with elite company as SEC slate nears finish” on social media.