Update: Coroner locates family of woman killed Friday in murder-suicide

The Lee County Coroner's Office is asking for help identifying the family of Erica Renee Miller.

UPDATE: Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said Thursday he has located the family of Erica Renee Miller with help of social media and news outlets.

Authorities are asking for help finding the family of the woman shot and killed in a murder-suicide Friday. 

She is believed to be connected to the shooting of an Auburn police officer.

The Lee County Coroner's Office identified the 36-year-old woman as Erica Renee Miller of Eufala. 

"Looking for family of this woman," the coroner's flyer reads. "If anyone knows of any relatives of this woman, please contact the Lee County Coroner’s Office or have the family contact the Coroner’s office at 334-737-3620. If you want to leave information anonymously, call the Lee County Coroner Secret Witness line at 334-745-8686."

Coroner Bill Harriss said Monday that the main suspect involved in the shooting of an Auburn police officer Friday did not die in a fire as initially reported by police but instead by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Harris said 38-year-old Christopher James Wallace's death and the death of the now-identified 36-year-old woman with him were the result of a murder-suicide.

"It is believed that Wallace shot the female suspect and then turned the gun on himself in a murder-suicide," Harris said in a statement. "Where each suspect was shot is not being released at this time as the case is still very early in its stages and ongoing."

Other new details will be released when possible, Harris said. The woman's name has been withheld until today because authorities were trying to contact her family.

The wounded police officer has been identified as Justin Sanders, a five-year veteran of law enforcement. 

He is recovering from his injuries.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Update: Coroner locates family of woman killed Friday in murder-suicide” on social media.