City council receives stamp of approval from League of Women Voters

<p>The Auburn City Council during its meeting on Feb. 5, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn City Council during its meeting on Feb. 5, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The League of Women Voters offered the Auburn City Council a stamp of approval at Tuesday’s meeting in the form of a report card.

During the Citizen's open forum portion of the City Council's meeting, where citizens can speak to the Council on anything they wish, Bruno Ulrich, a board member on the League of Women Voters, gave the Council a packet of papers detailing the proceedings of previous Council meetings. 

The report offered a list of evaluations for each meeting and a summarized list of every proceeding and agenda item covered during that meeting. The packet also contains the contact info for the mayor, city manager and all the Councilmembers.

“As part of getting citizens involved the league has what’s called the observer's corps of which I am the observer at this time,” Ulrich said.

Ulrich summarizes each of the items on the agenda that were covered at the meetings and measures the level of transparency for each meeting. 

“I have been to a number of Council meetings, here and elsewhere,” Ulrich said. “I would honestly say that this Council and mayor are cut above with the communications.”

Each report by the observer corps is available online and can be found on the LVW website under the take action tab. 

Several Councilmembers have said they want to ensure the transparency of the Council. Council meetings are now broadcast live on WANI Radio. There are also recap sessions for each ward and City Council meeting for citizens that cannot attend either.

“You can now listen live on the radio as well,” Mayor Ron Anders said. “We’re excited about that and our efforts to continue to bring our message to all those in the community who want to understand what we do here at City Council.”

Share and discuss “City council receives stamp of approval from League of Women Voters” on social media.