Dogs cost cash: Be ready before adopting

<p>Several dogs run the length of the&nbsp;Opelika Dog Park large dog&nbsp;enclosure on Saturday,&nbsp;April 14, 2018, in Opelika, Ala.</p>

Several dogs run the length of the Opelika Dog Park large dog enclosure on Saturday, April 14, 2018, in Opelika, Ala.

The idea of adopting a furry companion can be riveting for people, since dogs are known for their unceasing love and urge to please their owners.

But many people are unaware of the hefty monetary commitment that accompanies their new canine sidekick. New owners sometimes adopt a dog and then find themselves financially overwhelmed. 

“Think long and hard about it,” said South College Veterinary Clinic receptionist and former veterinary tech Dani Oates. “Don’t just go because you want a dog or you just want a companion. Look at your financial situation and figure out if you can afford the services, especially vaccines and monthly (parasite) prevention.”

Oates said it’s also important to save money in case of an emergency surgery as well, such as an ACL repair or foreign body removal. 

“[Adopting a dog] is definitely something you don’t want to jump in with both feet, you want to weigh all your options,” Oates said.

It’s crucial to research how much it costs to own a dog and properly take care of it before you decide to adopt. Calling a veterinary clinic before adopting to ask about the annual service costs is a simple solution, Oates said.

She said she often sees people bring dogs to the clinic who aren’t cared for properly because of financial restraints. 

“Upset, mad, for sure, and heartbroken,” Oates said, reflecting on how those instances affect her. “I, personally, want to take the dog in and don’t want to give them back to the owner, or I want to sit down with the owner and say, ‘Yo, what are you doing? Is there something financial? Why is the dog like this?’” 

She said prospective dog owners must understand this is a financially hefty and long-term commitment.

Lee County Humane Society Foster Coordinator Bailey Ray said the humane society experiences a lot of pet surrenders because of financial reasons. 

“A lot of times, financial reasons also mean living in places that don’t allow pets,” Ray said. “It makes me sad. Sometimes people have exhausted all avenues to rehome on their own. On the flip side of that, we see people who don’t really try.”

Ray said if someone is weary of the financial cost or is unaware, she suggests fostering. There is no cost at Lee County Humane Society to foster, but they do ask foster owners provide the food and transportation for the pet. 

“The most important financial thing that you need to make sure your dog has is food,” Ray said. “So, even then, you are becoming a little bit financially responsible. So, you get a little taste of what (owning a dog) entails.” 

Oates recommends fostering too. 

“[Fostering] lets you know if you can handle it and how you feel about the commitment, time-wise, not so much financial-wise,” Oates said. “Fostering prior to adopting is a very good choice.” 

The fee for adopting a dog from Lee County Humane ranges from $25 to $125. Annual veterinary canine check-ups range from $123 to $148. 

South College Veterinary Clinic works with Lee County Humane Society to provide a free first appointment if someone adopts from the shelter. Also, if a pet is adopted from Lee County Humane Society and they’re not spayed or neutered, the surgery price is 50 percent off at the vet clinic. 

“Dogs are great, and I recommend everybody to have a dog at some point in their life,” Oates said. “Think long and hard about it. Make sure you have the time and money to do it.”

Share and discuss “Dogs cost cash: Be ready before adopting” on social media.