Plainsman sports staff predictions for Super Bowl LIII

Patriots-Rams kicks off at 5:30 p.m. CST in Super Bowl LIII. The action from Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta will be broadcast on CBS.

Here are our game picks.

Nathan King, sports editor:

All jokes aside for Sean McVay, he's orchestrated an incredible offensive system this year as Los Angeles is the only team in the league that's top 5 in both rushing and passing. New England would rather see increased carries from Rams running back Todd Gurley than give up chunk plays through the air, and I expect LA to take advantage with what's been an effective run game.

Tom Brady performs best on the biggest stages, and Bill Belichick is one of the best in NFL history at modifying game plans for the Super Bowl, keeping his opponent always on their toes. However, if there was ever a defense to crack Brady late, I believe it's this Rams unit, especially with the interior pressure that's sure to come from Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh.

Another matchup to watch is the slot when New England is on offense, particularly Julian Edelman against Nickell Robey-Coleman. The Patriots were the No. 1 team in the league this season throwing to the slot from 11 personnel sets, while the Rams were the No. 1 defense defending those throws.

Score prediction: Rams 35, Patriots 30.

Jake Weese, sports writer: 

It's Super Bowl Sunday, and at the end of tonight, one of the two teams will be doing the Super Bowl shuffle all the way to Disney World. The two teams in tonight's big game are the New England Patriots and the LA Rams. The whiz-kid coach Sean McVay leads the Rams, against the so-called "evil empire" in Bill Belichick's Patriots. 

In this rematch of Super Bowl XXXVI, I see it being a close game coincidentally just like XXXVI. The Patriots have experience over the young Rams, and I see it being mostly Patriots in the first half but kept close by the Rams all everything defense and their veterans on offense like running back CJ Anderson. In the second half, I see the Rams pulling away after some halftime adjustments offensively in a close game.

Let's just hope the Rams learned from their LA counterparts in the Chargers and know to play man-to-man instead of a zone defense or else the Patriots will feast. 

Score prediction: Rams 28, Patriots 24.

Ian Bivona, sports writer:

After being under scrutiny throughout the 2018 season, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots are back and playing in their third straight Super Bowl, looking to avenge last year's loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.The game is a rematch of Super Bowl XXXVI, where the Patriots defeated the Rams 20-17 in a last second field goal by kicker Adam Vinatieri. I don't see this game being as low scoring as the predecessor was, as both teams possess high-powered offenses. 

The deciding factor in the game will be the Rams defensive line against the Patriots offensive line. The Patriots are vulnerable without a strong running game, and putting Brady under pressure will force him to make errant throws, leading to turnovers. If the Rams can get to Brady expect the Patriots offense to suffer and lack in productivity. 

That being said, its hard to go against the man who is going for his sixth Super Bowl win. However, one dynasty started with Brady hoisting his first Lombardi Trophy back in 2002, perhaps a new one will begin with Rams quarterback Jared Goff hoisting his first Lombardi trophy.

Score prediction: Patriots 35, Rams 28. 

Henry Zimmer, sports writer:

Could this be the year that Tom Brady and the Pats lose two Super Bowls in a row? I can only hope so. The Rams have it all going for them- an excellent run game highlighted by probably the best active running back and an emerging veteran back up, a surprisingly talented young quarterback in Jared Goff with deep play threats surrounding him, and one of the league’s best defenses. How could they lose? 

The way to beat the Patriots is to utilize a stud defense, which the Rams have, and have their potent offense capitalize off of potential three-and-outs and turnovers, which the Patriots are prone to in a defensive battle. If Blake Bortles and Ryan Tannehill can out play the “goat” then there is no reason that Jared Goff could not do the same. Stopping Sony Michel and having Brady try and beat Marcus Cooper and company on the outside will be key for the Rams to capture a victory. Look for Aaron Donald to have a monster game, eating up interior linemen for at least 2 sacks. If the Rams are able to pull that all off, my hot take is to see Gronk, Brady, and Edelman all ride off into the sunset together as they retire as potentially one of the greatest trios football has ever seen.

Score Prediction: Patriots 38, Rams 35.

Logan Glover, sports writer:

The Patriots have created a dynasty in a league that plots against it. They are basically the Alabama of the NFL to the point where a lot of fans are just sick of Tom Brady consistently winning Super Bowls. Regardless of what happens tonight, the Patriots will have played in nine Super Bowls since 2001. Only Seattle has played in more than one. Clearly it is not a fluke that Bill Belichick has created a runaway train. Can the Rams even stop it?

This may be me being superstitious but I am a believer that while this game will have points scored, it will be closer then expected. No matter whether it is NCAA or NFL, these games where two high scoring offenses meet always end up being a defensive game. The Rams have a defense that can break up the Pats offense staring in the trenches. It all starts with a player like Aaron Donald at defensive tackle. Also lined beside him is Ndamukong Suh, who has been a factor so far in the playoffs. Both defenses will play great against equally great offenses but unless Belichick pulls a perfect play out at the right time (which he has a habit of doing in Super Bowls) then I see the Rams pulling this off.

P.S. The Pats have more Auburn players on their roster so if the curse continues then the Rams will win it.

Score prediction: Rams 24, Patriots 17.

Joshua Fisher, photographer

Now as a photographer I do not have the indepth knowledge of the pro football scene that many of the writers on our staff possess. What I do have is a pretty reasonable theory as too the outcome of the game.

I believe that since LA wasn’t affected by the Polar vortex and since Boston was, Boston’s fan base will be to busy fighting off wolves Day After Tomorrow style to make it to Atlanta due to the wolves popping all of the tires of the planes at Logan, meaning that there will only be Rams fans in the stadium plus several dozen Saints fans who couldn’t get refunds for their tickets along with Falcons fans with nothing better to do on a Sunday. It is in my opinion that without the scores of fans to draw energy from,  Bill Belichick will not have the power to perform his dark rituals, leading to their being even worse traffic in LA due to the Rams victory parade.

Score prediction: Rams 34, Patriots 26.

Share and discuss “Plainsman sports staff predictions for Super Bowl LIII” on social media.