Board of Trustees approves project to bring 600 on-campus parking spaces

<p>Board of trustees meet on April 12, 2019, in the Hotel at Auburn.</p>

Board of trustees meet on April 12, 2019, in the Hotel at Auburn.

Campus will have 1,000 new parking spots in the fall. 

The Board of Trustees approved an initiation project to add 600 on-campus parking spots in addition to the parking lot being added at the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center. 

The $3.5 million project will add 300 additional paved spots to the West Campus Parking Lot for residential students and 300 spots to the Hayfield Parking Lot for commuter students. 

Don Andrae, director of transportation services, told The Plainsman the spots should be finished by the start of the fall 2019 semester.

"I don't think I've ever won before and gotten 1,000 spaces in one year," Andrae said. 

The project will be financed by the University General Fund and parking fees.

The project will eliminate the entrance from Woodfield and improving the entrance from Donnahue of the Hayfield Parking Lot. The lot will have another entrance connected to the parking lot of the new Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center. 

Andrae said they are hoping a project will be approved to add a bus pick-up stop off of Lem Morrison Drive. He said they already have a route planned for a Tiger Transit bus to take students from the lot to closer to central campus. 

Andrae also said they are set to repave the Coliseum Parking Lot and potholes in the area near The Hill dorms. 

"We're not going to ever have parking close in the campus area because there's no place to do it, but that's another reason to have the transit system," Andrae said. 

They also plan to add a Bikeshare hub next to the Hayfield Parking Lot. 

Andrae said the preliminary actions of the project are already under way. 

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves project to bring 600 on-campus parking spaces” on social media.