Auburn softball on wrong side of pitcher's duel in loss at Arkansas

<p>Head Coach Mickey Dean&nbsp;during Auburn's second doubleheader game vs. Arkansas on Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Head Coach Mickey Dean during Auburn's second doubleheader game vs. Arkansas on Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

In a pitcher’s duel against No. 20 Arkansas, No. 23 Auburn was unable to take advantage of Razorback errors or complete a possible last-inning-rally.

The Tigers lost 0-1 in Game 1 of their three-game series against Arkansas at Bogle Park. The lone run of the game came on a solo homer from Nicole Duncan in the fifth inning. Chardonnay Harris earned the loss after pitching 4.2 innings, allowing one run on six hits and two strikeouts. 

In the circle for the Razorbacks, starting pitcher Autumn Storms was able to keep the Tigers from making a come back in the seventh inning. After Taylon Snow beat out a throw to get a single, Brittany Maresette also beat out a throw to first to put the tying and go-ahead runners on first and second with no outs. Storm responded to these miscues by striking out the next three Tigers to end the game.

"Yeah, we got two batters on (base), but you have to execute," said Auburn head coach Mickey Dean. ”When you have an opportunity to move baserunners, you have to move the baserunners. When you don't do your job, it puts pressure on the person behind you and that builds throughout the game.”

Storms’ performance to close out the game summed up how the Tigers fared against her all night. Auburn (35-16, 10-12 SEC) had only one hit in the first six innings of the game -- a single from Alyssa Rivera. Four other Tigers got on base in the first four innings via Razorback errors and a fielder’s choice. Overall the Tigers had only two hits on the night.

Game 2 is set for a 5 p.m. CST start on Saturday. 

Share and discuss “Auburn softball on wrong side of pitcher's duel in loss at Arkansas ” on social media.