The voice of Auburn, the voice of a family: How people are remembering the life of Rod Bramblett

Rod Bramblett broadcasted Auburn games since 1993, and he graduated from Auburn in 1988.

When the touchdowns came and the chants of "War Eagle" echoed in Jordan-Hare; when the orange pom-poms hissed and the band blasted their tune, there was Rod Bramblett, there was the "Voice of the Auburn Tigers," orchestrating his family, speaking into the mic, into the memories of people who danced and rolled and screamed joyously alongside him.

The boyish excitement, the fervor, the voice that was as Auburn as Samford, as elated and high as a roll stuck on Toomer's. Bramblett matched the pandemonium, he captured the madness.

While speaking to The Plainsman in 2014, a year after the 4th and 18 Hail Mary against Georgia, and a year after Chris Davis' 109-yard Iron Bowl-winning field goal return against Alabama, Bramblett said it all felt like a "blur."

"It was one of those things when you look back that you wish there was a way you could've just recorded every single thing you did because you will never have another moment like that," Bramblett told The Plainsman.  

It was a year of miracles, a year of blasting speakers as Bramblett, in glee, growled in his raspy voice a victory for the Tigers. He was a megaphone for thousands, a megaphone for the Auburn Family, narrating their games, calling their achievements. 

On Saturday night, when a car accident killed Rod Bramblett and his wife Paula, the Auburn Family returned the favor and called right back.

This week, The Plainsman will be dedicated to honoring Rod and Paula Bramblett. If you have any stories about Rod personally, or if you have any memories of hearing his calls in the car or at home, we'd love to hear them. Share them with us at editor@theplainsman.com and sports@theplainsman.com. We'll compile a list and share them later this week.

This is how a community mourned the loss of a voice — the loss of Rod and Paula Bramblett.

The Auburn Tigers

Auburn men's basketball head coach Bruce Pearl

Auburn basketball assistant coach Steven Pearl

Auburn football head coach Gus Mulzahn 

Auburn baseball head coach Butch Thompson

Auburn Mayor Ron Anders

Former Auburn football coach Gene Chiz

Auburn University Steven Leath

Auburn Athletic Director Allen Greene

Former Auburn football player Chris Davis

Former Auburn baseball player Casey Mize

Auburn baseball pitcher Ryan Watson

Auburn football defenseman Big Kat Bryant 

Auburn football player Bo Nix

Governor Kay Ivey

U.S. Senator Doug Jones

The Auburn Family

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “The voice of Auburn, the voice of a family: How people are remembering the life of Rod Bramblett” on social media.