Malik Dunbar joins Warriors summer league roster

<p>Malik Dunbar (4) celebrates during Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Florida on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Malik Dunbar (4) celebrates during Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Florida on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Bryce Brown is no longer the only former Auburn basketball player to be joining a California-based summer league team.

Former Tiger Malik Dunbar is joining the Golden State Warriors as a member of their NBA Summer League roster.

Dunbar was a key player off the bench for Auburn in his senior season, averaging 6.6 points and 3.2 rebounds in 18 minutes per game. He spent two years at the College of Central Florida before transferring to Auburn for his junior and senior seasons.

One of the leaders on Auburn's historic Final Four team, coaches have stated that without Dunbar's easy-going attitude and leadership they wouldn't have made the Final Four. 

"Without Malik, we're not here," assistant coach Steven Pearl said at the Final Four in Minneapolis.

Last month The Plainsman reported that the 6-foot-6 forward was drawing interest from NFL teams following the conclusion of his senior season. Dunbar decided to stick with basketball and now has an opportunity this summer to try to make an NBA roster or G League roster. 

The Golden State Warriors will be looking to not only add to their starting lineup due to the injuries of Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson but also to their bench as well. Dunbar, a career 34.2 percent shooter from three who averaged 6.1 points and2.8 rebounds in his two seasons with the Tigers, could help add to Golden State's bench depth.   

Summer League for the Golden State Warriors begins July 1 with a three-day tournament hosted by the Sacramento Kings. After the three-day tournament where the Warriors will play the Kings, Lakers and Heat, Summer League out in Las Vegas will officially start on July 5.  

Share and discuss “Malik Dunbar joins Warriors summer league roster” on social media.