Bo Nix achieves childhood dream, campus celebrity status and starting job all in first week at Auburn

<p>Bo Nix (10) at Auburn football practice on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Bo Nix (10) at Auburn football practice on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

The first week of freshman year is stressful enough with trying to navigate around on campus, getting acquainted with new classes and living alone for the first time. 

For Auburn's new starting QB, Bo Nix, the first true freshman to start an Auburn season opener since 1946, he's now the biggest man on campus just days into his college career.

Nix did not have to wait long to find out that a childhood dream had become a reality. On Tuesday, the second day of the first semester, Nix's goal that started in a backyard with his father, Auburn great Patrick Nix, was realized.

"Well, obviously, it's a dream come true," Bo Nix told reporters Tuesday. "I've always wanted to play quarterback at Auburn. It's a goal of mine that I've had for a long, long time; as far as I can remember. All the way back to throwing the football in the backyard with my dad, I wanted to play quarterback at Auburn. So it was just an awesome moment. You honestly couldn't write it any better." 

Though Bo Nix is just a freshman, he comes in with an impressive résumé from high school. Bo Nix led Pinson Valley to back-to-back 6A state championships and set the state record for passing yards (12,000-plus) and touchdowns (127 passing, 34 rushing). 

Not only do the high school achievements put pressure on Bo Nix to perform, but so do the expectations at Auburn, where dad Patrick Nix quarterbacked for the Tigers from 1992-95. The hype for Bo Nix to deliver has turned the freshman into an overnight campus celebrity, but he says he's ready to handle the attention and fame that come with being Auburn's starting quarterback. 

"Well, you know, like I said, growing up my dad always said everyone's always watching, no matter where you go, what you're doing — somebody's always watching," Bo Nix said. "Making the decision when I actually started getting recruited, my mom and dad both harped on me about, you know, it's a big thing to be a quarterback at a big school, and so I'm ready."

Now that Bo Nix has accomplished his No. 1 goal, his next task is to lead his team to victory against Oregon in the season opener Aug. 31.

"Growing up watching him (Cam Newton) and guys like Nick Marshall and those guys, it just really fueled my fire for wanting to play here and just be the next guy that people look up to, the next guy that people talk about," Bo Nix said. "And hopefully like Cam, lead your team to a national championship and win the Heisman Trophy." 

Share and discuss “Bo Nix achieves childhood dream, campus celebrity status and starting job all in first week at Auburn” on social media.