Miss Homecoming Top 5 announced

Students in the crowd cheered on the 2019 Miss Homecoming Top Five as they were announced during callouts at Cater on Aug. 21, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

On the back steps of Cater Hall, the traditional callouts sparked roars of cheers and screams as the 2019 Miss Homecoming Top 5 were announced on Wednesday. 

The five candidates are: 

• Sophie Brint
  • Alison Beverly
  • Caroline Matthews
  • Mary Stewart
  • Maggie Hightower

The five women, reveling in the announcement with friends, are eager to be one step closer to being crowned the next Miss Homecoming.

“Honestly, this is so surprising, and I am so excited,” said Matthews, a senior in English literature. “It’s going to be a wild time.” 

The nominees also commented on how humbled they are to represent the student body. 

“I am completely speechless and honored to be listed among these women to represent our university,” said Brint, a senior and double major in nursing and Spanish. “I consider this a blessing that God has chosen to provide.” 

Stewart, a senior in communication, echoed Brint’s sentiment.

“I’m at a loss for words because it doesn’t seem real yet,” Stewart said. “I’m still shocked. I’m unsure how I got here, but I’m really honored to have gotten this position.” 

In the coming weeks, the five women will begin a week-long campaign raising awareness for their specific platforms. 

“My platform is really important to me, and it’s able to give back directly to Auburn, and that’s something that’s been important to me since I got here,” Stewart said. 

Brint underscored the importance of campaigning — a time in which the nominees will work to give back to the community. 

“I hope that people see my heart for these people and this campus because this is a place that has invested so much into me, and I hope to give back a small portion of what I’ll be taking from Auburn when I graduate next year,” she said.   

Formal campaigning will begin on Sept. 9 at 3 p.m., and there will be a joint kickoff on the campus green. 

Share and discuss “Miss Homecoming Top 5 announced” on social media.