Players to watch, keys to victory for No. 7 Auburn vs. Mississippi State

<p>JaTarvious Whitlow (28) runs the ball during Auburn football vs. Mississippi State on Oct. 6, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

JaTarvious Whitlow (28) runs the ball during Auburn football vs. Mississippi State on Oct. 6, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

No. 7 Auburn (4-0, 1-0 in SEC) hosts Mississippi State (3-1, 1-0 in SEC) this weekend in the Tigers' SEC home opener. The Tigers are looking to forget the 2018 loss to the Bulldogs. 

Auburn leads the all-time series 63-27-2, but Mississippi State has gotten the better of the Tigers recently, holding a 4-3 series lead since 2012.  

Players to watch: 

Auburn’s defense: 

Auburn’s defense will look to continue its dominating ways this season against Mississippi State this Saturday. The Tigers will face a very good rushing team in the Bulldogs who average 228.3 yards a game, ranking them third in the SEC. The Auburn defense is stout against the run allowing an averaging of 89.5 yards a game, second in the SEC. 

Boobee Whitlow: 

Boobee Whitlow has been Auburn’s lead back this season. Against Texas A&M last weekend, he did not receive a single carry until the second quarter. He had only two rush attempts heading into halftime.  According to Gus Malzahn postgame, the usage of Whitlow was an intentional decision by running backs coach Cadillac Williams.

“You know, Cadillac wanted to make sure we gave some other guys some opportunities,” Malzahn said. “You saw Harold Joiner did a really good job, you saw Worm do a good job, too, with that. He was fresh in the second half, and I'll tell you what, that really made a big difference.” 

Against Mississippi State’s defense, it will be interesting to see what happens with Auburn’s run game.  

Anthony Schwartz/ Seth Williams: 

A fully healthy Anthony Schwartz and Seth Williams are rejuvenating the Auburn offense. Auburn fans got a “glimpse” of what the receivers can do with Schwartz and Williams back last Saturday against Texas A&M, according to Williams. 

The duo combined for 9-of-20 receiving targets against Texas A&M. Williams scored off a 9-yard Bo Nix touchdown pass and Schwartz showed off his speed rushing once for a 57-yard score. 

Kylin Hill:

Mississippi State’s lead running back has gotten off to an impressive start. Through four games, Kylin Hill has 91 carries for 551 yards and five touchdowns. He leads the SEC or is tied for first in nine different stat categories including rushing yards, tied for first in rushing touchdowns and yards per rush with 6.1. 

He is currently the only player in the FBS with 100-yards rushing in each of the first four games. The Bulldogs are 6-1 when Hill reaches 100+ yards in a game. He will go up against a very good run defense in Auburn this weekend. 

Mississippi State’s defense:

Mississippi State’s defense leads the nation and the SEC in turnovers gained this season. They have recovered seven fumbles and snatched up four interceptions. The defense also leads the SEC in third down stops allowing offenses to convert only 24.4% on third down. 

The Bulldogs defense is a turnover machine and has an interception in 15 of their last 17 games. They also have had 20 straight games with a takeaway dating all the way back to 2017. 

The QB situation: 

Someone will start under center for the Bulldogs this Saturday. Garrett Shrader, the true freshman had his first career start against Kentucky last Saturday. Shrader was 17-of-22 for 180 yards with an interception. He also added 125 yards on the ground on 11 attempts. 

Shrader filled in for the injured graduate transfer Tommy Stevens. Stevens was  originally injured against Southern Miss in week two and did not play in the second half of the game. He came back in week 3 against Kansas State but was unable to play the whole game. 

Leading the way for Shrader to make his first career start against Kentucky. 

Stevens so far this season has 5 passing touchdowns and 2 interceptions all on 441 passing yards. He has rushed for 42 yards on 24 attempts adding two touchdowns on the ground. 

Keys to Victory:

Mississippi State: 

- Continue with the takeaways. 

Auburn’s offense has not had a turnover since the second game of the season against Tulane. When they have turned it over, it has come in pairs, Nix threw two interceptions against Oregon in week 1 and Whitlow fumbled twice against Tulane. If Mississippi State can keep its defensive takeaway streak alive, it may come in bunches. 

Auburn: 

- Stop the run game

Mississippi State’s rushing attack is third in the SEC and led by Hill who has 100+ rushing yards in each of the first four games. Auburn’s defense has been stifling against the run and if they can force Mississippi State to pass the ball, they will be going up against a passing offense that averages 185.8 yards in the SEC. Those 185.8 average yards are second lowest in the SEC this season.  

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory for No. 7 Auburn vs. Mississippi State” on social media.