DT Tyrone Truesdell steps up for Auburn against Ducks

<p>Auburn's defensive line attacks Oregon's offensive front during Auburn vs. Oregon on Aug. 31, 2019, in Arlington, Texas. Photo courtesy of The Glomerata.</p>

Auburn's defensive line attacks Oregon's offensive front during Auburn vs. Oregon on Aug. 31, 2019, in Arlington, Texas. Photo courtesy of The Glomerata.

The people of Auburn, Alabama, are still attempting to reduce their collective blood pressures to a reasonable level following the Tigers’ dramatic win over the 11th-ranked Oregon Ducks this past Saturday. 

For many, the 27-21 victory is hoped to be the beginning of a promising season. For junior defensive tackle Tyrone Truesdell, it was a career game that Auburn hopes translates throughout 2019.

Leading into Saturday’s clash on the gridiron, the 6-foot-3, 325-pound native of Augusta, Georgia, had recorded a combined total of 13 tackles across his freshman and sophomore seasons, only 10 of which were scored as solos. The junior turned up the heat this weekend, recording six tackles (two unaided), four assists and half a sack in the season opener.

When asked about Truesdell’s performance, head coach Gus Malzahn spoke highly of the junior’s play. 

Malzahn made a point to comment upon Truesdell’s impact upon the outcome of this past week’s game, the coach pinpointed Truesdell's penetration against Oregon's defensive line on the critical fourth-and-inches stop in the fourth quarter.

“He’s got some experience and now he’s taking his game to the next level," Malzahn said. “... He’s just got to continue to do that.”

Truesdell will look to build on last Saturday's performance against LSU transfer quarterback Justin McMillan and an explosive Tulane team, fresh off a victory in which it racked up over 500 yards of total offense.

Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. CST in Jordan-Hare.

Share and discuss “DT Tyrone Truesdell steps up for Auburn against Ducks” on social media.