13 former Auburn players selected in 2019 XFL Draft

Cameron Artis-Payne celebrates after the road win over Ole Miss on November 1. (File photo)

It’s been nearly 20 years, but in February 2020, the XFL will make its return. 

The professional football league made its original debut in 2001, but folded after one season. The 2020 season will see the “new” XFL revamped, with more time put into mini camps and football development, intended to increase the product on the field. 

The XFL held its player draft on October 15 and 16, which consisted of 70 rounds, building rosters of 71 players for eight teams. The eight teams in the XFL will be the Dallas Renegades, DC Defenders, Houston Roughnecks, Los Angeles Wildcats, New York Guardians, St. Louis BattleHawks, Seattle Dragons and Tampa Bay Vipers. 

In the two day draft, 13 former Auburn football players heard their names called. Here is the complete list, in order of when they were drafted

• Sammie Coates- Houston Roughneck
  • Cameron Artis-Payne - Dallas Renegades
  • Darius James  - Dallas Renegades 
  • Tre’ Williams  - Los Angeles Wildcats
  • John Franklin III - Dallas Renegades 
  • Therezie Robinson - Tampa Bay Vipers 
  • Ryan Davis - Tampa Bay Vipers 
  • Trovon Reed - St. Louis BattleHawks 
  • Davante Lambert - St. Louis BattleHawks 
  • Avery Young - St. Louis BattleHawks 
  • Chris Davis - Seattle Dragons 
  • Andrew Williams - LA Wildcats 
  • Gimel President - St. Louis BattleHawks

Many of these former Tigers have played key roles in Auburn history, such as Ryan Davis, who holds the Auburn record for most career receptions. Chris Davis is most notably known from his 109-yard missed field goal return deemed the “Kick Six” from the Iron Bowl in 2013. 

The XFL season kicks off the week following Super Bowl XLV and the games will be broadcast on ESPN, FOX, FS1 and ABC. 

Share and discuss “13 former Auburn players selected in 2019 XFL Draft” on social media.