Auburn soccer beats Alabama for 7th straight time, 12th of last 13 meetings

<p>Auburn soccer beat Alabama for the seventh consecutive time Sunday. Via Cat Wofford / Auburn Athletics</p>

Auburn soccer beat Alabama for the seventh consecutive time Sunday. Via Cat Wofford / Auburn Athletics

The Tigers managed to escape Tuscaloosa on Sunday with a narrow 3-2 victory over in-state rival Alabama in 2019 installment of the soccer Iron Bowl. 

Until the 108th minute, the rival squads were deadlocked at two, until freshman Sydney Richards scored the go-ahead goal that would ultimately be the deciding factor of the game.

“I was thinking, 'Just don't hit the post and stay composed,'" Richards. "It was good to watch it go in. It's a really good (turning) point for us I think."

Richards has now recorded a collective four goals this season, including a pair of game-winners.

Tiger scoring was also headlined by junior Rocio Sanders and sophomore Hailey Whitaker, both of whom recorded goals en route to Auburn’s claim of the 12th of the last 13 meetings in the rivalry.

Auburn head coach Karren Hoppa commented on her team’s ability to pull out a victory on enemy turf.

"Our backs were against the wall, and to come into your biggest rival in a must-win situation is a really difficult challenge," she said. "Couldn't be more proud of the way the team stepped up to that challenge.” 

Auburn had the lead at the half, courtesy of Whitaker’s 32nd-minute goal. The match then was a back-and-forth affair from that point out, with each team trading goals until Richards' goal in the 108th minute.

Alabama did manage to record 29 shots-on-goal; however, junior keeper Sarah Houchin’s play managed to keep the Tide to a mere two goals. Houchin recorded a career-high 10 saves and received help from her back line.

“The whole back line was awesome," Couchin said. "Every time we were thinking to sell out, be there to support each other and be the cover. If one of us gets beat it's OK because someone else is going to be there to cover."

Auburn concludes its regular season on Thursday against conference opponent South Carolina. The game will be played at the Auburn Soccer Complex at 7 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Auburn soccer beats Alabama for 7th straight time, 12th of last 13 meetings” on social media.