Report: Auburn baseball alum David Ross named Cubs manager

<p>Via Auburn Athletics.</p>

Via Auburn Athletics.

David Ross is expected to be named the new manager of the Chicago Cubs later this week, NBC Sports Chicago reported Wednesday morning. 

The name may sound familiar because Ross was a member of Auburn’s 1997 College World Series team.

“Swing and a drive, deep left field! That one’s gone! That one’s gone! Auburn wins!” the late Rod Bramblett so famously called as David Ross hit a three-run, walk-off homer against Florida State in the 1997 Tallahassee Regional. 

After trailing 5-7 in the bottom of the ninth, the three-run homer resulted in a 8-7 victory for Auburn. A few days later, the Tigers won a second game against Florida State and advanced to the College World Series for the fourth time in school history. 

Ross, a catcher, was selected in the seventh round of the 1998 draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers, and made his Major League debut on June 29, 2002. He played for the Dodgers, Pirates, Padres, Reds, Red Sox (twice), Braves and Cubs. 

His tenure with the Cubs began in 2014, when he signed a two-year, $5-million deal. With the Cubs, he was not only behind the plate, but he made two pitching appearances in 2015. He pitched a total of two innings, giving up no runs. 

In 2016, Ross was catching in the World Series against the Cleveland Indians. In the decisive Game 7, he became the oldest player in World Series history to hit a home run, when he hit a 406-foot blast to center field. The Cubs went on to win the game 8-7.

Ross retired following the World Series and went to work for ESPN as a baseball analyst. He also made an appearance in ABC’s Dancing with the Stars in 2017. 

Ross will become the 61st manager in Chicago Cubs history.

Share and discuss “Report: Auburn baseball alum David Ross named Cubs manager” on social media.