Single-stream recycling plan grows again

<p>A recycling bin on campus in Auburn, Ala., on Friday, Jan. 26, 2018.</p>

A recycling bin on campus in Auburn, Ala., on Friday, Jan. 26, 2018.

The City of Auburn is expanding its single-stream recycling program once again. The Council recently approved plans to bring another 560 carts to the program. 

The program first began in February 2019 when City Council approved an agreement with The Recycling Partnership, which included utilizing grant funds to increase recycling and educate community members about recycling. 

The grant consisted of $175,000 to be used in two phases, according to a press release from the City. 

“The first of [these] will focus on engaging and educating new single-stream program participants and re-engaging longtime recyclers,” the press release reads. “The second phase will include the purchase of up to 2,000 new carts and associated educational materials.”

This partnership also provides community members and Auburn’s Environmental Services Building with the tools necessary to implement and run the recycling program successfully. 

“It has been very successful,” said Catrina Cook, director of Environmental Services. “We are still trying to develop.” 

The City began its transition to single-stream recycling in December 2017 when the City received a grant that provided 7,500 carts. Through the Recycling Partnership Grant, the City has increased its overall cart amount to 12,500, Cook said. 

“We service over 16,000 homeowners, so we want to make sure that everyone who wants to recycle has a way to recycle at their home,” said Cook. 

Through these carts, Auburn’s recycling program has become easier to use, Cook said. 

The program operates on an opt-in basis, where residents must request to be part of the single-stream recycling program. 

Prior to transitioning to a single-stream system of recycling, residents would have multiple bins, and products would have to be sorted. 

Communication and outreach for this program is becoming more accessible. The City will send brochures, and residents who would like to opt in to the program will still have the opportunity to do so, Cook said. 

Enhancements have been made and will continue to be made to the City’s website so information about recycling is more accessible. These enhancements include a program that will advise whether a particular item can be recycled, Cook said. 

Residents can continue to drop off recyclables at the Environmental Services Building at 365-A North Donahue Dr. 

Share and discuss “Single-stream recycling plan grows again” on social media.