UPC bringing David Dobrik to campus

<p>YouTube personality David Dobrik will be featured at the Student Activities Center on Nov. 12, 2019.&nbsp;</p>

YouTube personality David Dobrik will be featured at the Student Activities Center on Nov. 12, 2019. 

The University Program Council’s fall schedule traded one YouTube personality for another. 

After UPC announced Cody Ko and Noel Miller would not be able to make their scheduled appearance for UPC’s fall comedian event, UPC moved quickly to find a replacement. 

UPC announced that YouTube personality David Dobrik will be featured in the Student Activities Center on Nov. 12 at 8 p.m. Admission is free, and seating is first come, first served. No RSVP is required; students only have to show the mobile event pass found on AUinvolve or a valid Auburn ID. 

Alison Moore, UPC’s director of major entertainment, said she had been in touch with Dobrik’s agent for the past few months because she was thinking about potentially bringing him to campus in the spring. 

“As soon as Cody cancelled, it was kind of a free semester to have an event, so we checked with his schedule, and he had an opening,” Moore said. “We also wanted to make sure we could have an event this semester that could open up the Student Activities Center well.” 

The Student Activities Center was recently renovated to be able to hold more students. Moore hopes this space will be used for more programming and events going forward, and she hopes having a big name like Dobrik will help.

Originally gaining notoriety on Vine, Dobrik began his own personal YouTube channel in 2015, which currently has over 14 million subscribers. De facto leader of the self-titled “Vlog Squad,” an ensemble of celebrities and other YouTube personalities, Dobrik’s videos feature pranks, challenges and other comedy bits. 

Dobrik has been noted as having an innovative approach to YouTube with a high-energy style and quick cuts, similar to that of Vine. He has also become known for incorporating sponsors into videos through challenges with his friends. 

Moore said UPC will be looking into the possibility of bringing another big name to campus now that Dobrik will not appear in the spring.

“We’re always in contact with agents with different talent and just making sure who has an opening in their schedule, what would fit with our budget and what would best serve Auburn’s students,” she said. 

UPC may entertain the idea of rescheduling Ko and Miller for later in the spring. It just depends on how their tour lines up, Moore added.

Share and discuss “UPC bringing David Dobrik to campus” on social media.