Auburn climbs to No. 19 in latest AP Poll

<p>Austin Wiley (50) dunks the ball during Auburn Mens Basketball vs. CSUN on Friday, Nov. 15, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Austin Wiley (50) dunks the ball during Auburn Mens Basketball vs. CSUN on Friday, Nov. 15, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Bruce Pearl's squad is undefeated through its first four games of the season, and the release of this week’s AP poll reflects the team’s early success.

Auburn moved up three spots this week to No. 19 in the country. This is the first time this season that the Tigers find themselves inside the top 20. 

The Tigers began the season picking up a win at home against Georgia Southern 83-74 and then traveled to Annapolis, Maryland, defeating Davidson by double digits in the Veterans Classic. 

The closest contest Auburn has faced this year came against South Alabama. Freshman Isaac Okoro’s go-ahead layup in the final seconds helped seal the road win for Auburn last week, 70-69. The Tigers carried that momentum through their fourth game of the season when they routed Cal State Northridge 116-70 Friday night. 

Auburn has been effective shooting the ball from the perimeter, and Samir Doughty and Danjel Purifoy are leading the way, both shooting over 40% from beyond the arc. Okoro is also starting to become one of the focal points of the team, averaging 15.3 points per game as a true freshman. 

Auburn began its season ranked as the No. 24 team in the country, and has jumped five spots since. The Tigers will look to continue their ascent up the polls as they face Colgate tonight at 7 p.m. CST inside Auburn Arena. 

Share and discuss “Auburn climbs to No. 19 in latest AP Poll” on social media.