Auburn defense shuts out Samford in 52-0 rout

“It meant a lot," Tutt said. "Coach Steele has been harping on us all year about getting a shutout. Getting a shutout against any team is big for us... We’re playing to our standard."

Auburn Football players tackle their Samford opponent during the Auburn vs. Samford Football game on Nov. 23, 2019, in Auburn, AL.

The Auburn defense has been regarded as one of the top units in the country for the entirety of the 2019 campaign, statistically ranking in the top 15 –in terms of total defense – each week. That was on full display Saturday, as the No.15 Tigers played host to their in-state FCS opponents, Samford.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and his squad held Samford to 51 rushing yards on 30 attempts and a combined 63 yards through the air, allowing 114 yards of total offense. The Auburn defense also managed to force Samford into four turnovers, a pair of interceptions to go along with a pair of fumbles. 

True freshman linebacker Owen Pappoe felt that Saturday’s efforts were an accurate display of what the defensive unit was capable of, and that the outcome will serve as a moral boost for his team with the Iron Bowl looming. 

“Mission accomplished," Pappoe said. "We held them under 150 yards of offense, and that was our goal. We got the shutout on top of that, so we are really pumped about it."

For sophomore defensive back Christian Tutt, achieving a shutout was something that he felt was a possibility throughout the season and something he believes the defense will continue to build upon.

The sophomore said after the game that he wanted to be out there, even late in the second half when the game was all but over. He wanted a chance at revenge for the dropped interception in the first half.

“We wasn’t supposed to be out there (in the second half) to be honest," Tutt said. "Coach Steele asked us at halftime did we want to go back in. Nobody wanted to go back in but me because I knew I had dropped that first pick.”

Auburn Head Coach Gus Malzahn was not only pleased with the turnovers, but the opportunity to play some of the younger players. 

“It was really good to get some other guys some reps and get them out there and play," Malzahn said. "I think that’ll help us for the future too."

The Tiger defense had 22 different players record at least one tackle, and four individuals create turnovers throughout the game.

Auburn (8-3) will host No. 5 Alabama at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 30 at 2:30 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Auburn defense shuts out Samford in 52-0 rout” on social media.