Elections Council selects top five Miss Auburn candidates at callouts

Megan Ondrizek, Maggie Ricks, Cat Bryant, Sasha Cohen and Katie Phelan are nominated for Miss Auburn 2020 at callouts on Nov. 19, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Top Five Miss Auburn Candidates

Megan Ondrizek, junior in communication disorders and Spanish

Maggie Ricks, senior in accounting

Cat Bryant, junior in finance and biomedical science

Sasha Cohen, junior in architecture

Katie Phelan, junior in marketing

Just after 9 p.m. on Tuesday night, a mass of students crowded the Upper Quad behind Cater Hall. Twenty people in the crowd were the candidates up for this year’s Miss Auburn title, among them five chosen by the Elections Council to participate in the forthcoming election.

As each name was called by members of the council from atop the back steps, cheers erupted from the students, with the top five selected posing with flower bouquets in photos after the callouts. Sorority sisters and friends were there to congratulate them with hugs and well wishes afterward.

“[I’m] shocked and overwhelmed,” said Megan Ondrizek, junior in communication disorders and Spanish, describing her thoughts in the wake of being picked by the council.

This was also a common feeling among the other four women, who stated they were honored to have received the nominations for the chance of be a face for the University.

“I’m so excited,” said Sasha Cohen, junior in architecture. “This is a tremendous opportunity to be able to run for a position that represents all of Auburn. I’m just so excited that I can be in this position.”

With a wide range of students competing for the top five spots, winners said being selected was a welcome surprise.

“I don’t really know how I’m feeling right now. It’s just really overwhelming and really exciting,” said Maggie Ricks, senior in accounting.

For Cat Bryant, junior in finance and biomedical science, she had little more to say other than that she was “blessed and honored” to be in the running for the next Miss Auburn.

“It was not what I was expecting, but I’m really thankful for this experience,” said Katie Phelan, junior in marketing. “We’ll see what happens.” 

The women noted they were eager for the night to arrive, with callouts offering cheerful competition among friends.

“It’s just really cool to see all these people because we’re the same age and they’re my friends, so it’s a really fun experience,” Ricks said.

As is tradition, the next Miss Auburn will be determined in spring 2020 alongside elections for the Student Government Association.

Share and discuss “Elections Council selects top five Miss Auburn candidates at callouts” on social media.