Police confirm human remains found in Macon County are those of Aniah Blanchard

<p>Aniah Blanchard, 19, was reported missing on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019.</p>

Aniah Blanchard, 19, was reported missing on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019.

The Auburn Police Division has confirmed that the remains found in Macon County, Alabama, on Monday are those of Aniah Blanchard.

Officials searched the wooded area in the 38000 block of County Road 2 in Shorter, Alabama, on Monday and the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences confirmed the identity of the human remains on Wednesday.

There are three suspects involved in the 19-year-old's disappearance. Ibraheem Yazeed, 30, from Montgomery, was the first suspects arrested and charged with first degree kidnapping. His preliminary hearing was held last Wednesday. Yazeed was denied bond and his case is heading to a grand jury.

The second suspect, Antwain Shamar "Squirmy" Fisher, 35, from Montgomery, was arrested by the Auburn Police Division on Friday, Nov. 22, according to police. Fisher allegedly disposed of evidence and provided transportation for Yazeed, according to Fisher's charging documents. 

It's still unclear what evidence Fisher allegedly disposed of. His bond was set at $50,000.

The third suspect, David Johnson Jr., was arrested and charged with hindering prosecution in Montgomery for his role in Blanchard's disappearance, according to Lee County District Attorney Brandon Hughes.

Auburn Police Chief Paul register said that everyone who played a role in Aniah's disappearance is now in custody.

Register said the case will move forward as a homicide investigation and that additional charges are expected.

Gov. Kay Ivey issued the following statement:

“I am heartbroken for the family of Aniah Blanchard,” said Governor Ivey. “Like Alabamians across our state, I was praying for a much different outcome. I will be keeping them in my prayers and ask the people of Alabama to continue to do so as well. During this holiday season, it is easy to get distracted in the hustle and bustle, but I urge us all to remember those that are hurting. I appreciate the diligence of the Auburn Police Division, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency and the many volunteers who were searching for Aniah. She is indeed loved and will be remembered by us all.”

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Police confirm human remains found in Macon County are those of Aniah Blanchard” on social media.